Skip to main content

Apply for a Private Land Use Permit

Activities requiring a permit on private land use

If you want to conduct any of the following activities on private land, you will need a permit.

  • Storing or repairing a recreational vehicle
  • Storing a shipping container (up to 90 days)
  • Storing long heavy vehicles (If you intend to park more than 1 long heavy vehicle on private land, please consult our planning team).
  • Storing unregistered vehicles (up to 90 days)
  • Storing a skip bin
  • Putting up temporary dwellings (up to 60 days).

If you want to conduct an activity and you are unsure whether you need a permit on your private land, we encourage you to contact us:

You must provide a site plan

You must provide a site plan that illustrates where your activity will take place in relation to the intersection.


For all private land use permit applications, excluding Long Heavy Vehicles on Private Land, the following fees apply:

  • Non-refundable Application Fee: $138
  • Permit Fee: $138

If your application is for storing Long Heavy Vehicles on Private Land, the following fees apply:

  • Non-refundable Application Fee: $138
  • Long/Heavy Vehicles Permit Fee: $460

Please note above fees is for storing 1 heavy vehicle on Private Land. 

You must pay both the application and permit fee when you apply. If your application is unsuccessful the permit fee will be refunded.

How to apply

You can enquire about your type private land use through one of our online forms (once you have clicked through, please scroll down to the appropriate link within the body of the page).

Note: Permit application must be received 14 days before the date the permit is needed for.

Recreation vehicles

Shipping containers

Long heavy vehicles

Unregistered vehicles

Temporary dwellings

If you're unable to complete the online form, you can also access a downloadable version of the private land use application form.

What happens next

  • We will consider your application. If we need more information, we will contact you.
  • If the inspection is satisfactory, we will approve your permit within 7 business days.

Have you found the information you were looking for?