Skip to main content

Kerbside Collection Policy

Version: 3.0


To detail the residential and community facility waste and recycling services provided by the City of Casey.



means Casey City Council, being a body corporate constituted as a municipal Council under the Local Government Act 1989



means the individuals holding the office of a member of Casey City Council


Council officer

means the Chief Executive Officer and staff of Council appointed by the Chief Executive Officer.


Contract Supervisor

means the City of Casey’s Manager of Waste and Contaminated Land. The Contract Supervisor may delegate decisions under this policy but is ultimately responsible for their implementation.



means the waste management company appointed to collect waste in the municipality on behalf of City of Casey. This appointment is formalised with a contract.


The waste collection service for all occupied residential properties within the city of Casey, as well as waste collection services provided for community groups and commercial businesses within the City of Casey.


This policy should be read in conjunction with the Rethink Your Waste! City of Casey Waste Management Strategy 2016-2022 and Section 162 of the Local Government Act (1989) and the Litter Management Policy.


Collection Services

The bin sizes provided as standard as part of the residential kerbside collection are:

  • 120L waste bin
  • 240L recycle bin
  • 240L garden waste bin

Collection of waste bins occurs weekly; recycling and garden waste are collected on alternate weeks (fortnightly service).


Residents can opt to reduce the size of their waste bin, down to an 80L bin size (with a saving calculated annually on their rates).

Residential properties on land smaller than 400sqm or larger than 20000sqm can opt to forgo the use of the garden waste bin (with a saving calculated annually on their rates).

Allowances for additional bins

Residential properties

All occupied residential properties within the City of Casey can apply to receive one additional bin of each of the three kerbside services. Any additional bin garbage, recycling or green waste incur an additional annual charge.

An additional bin of any kind (waste, recycling or garden waste) will only be supplied to a property with the agreement of the ratepayer. Service will be provided and charged for a minimum period of six months.

One additional mobile waste and recycling bin can be provided free of charge to the following:

  • Residents who, following a written application to Council including a medical certificate can prove medical reasons resulting in additional waste.
  • Households, following completion of the application form who have six or more people permanently residing at the property, except households that have an exemption for a granny flat or dependents unit

They must re-apply as requested by Council in the same manner to continue this service.

Non-residential properties – Commercial businesses

The waste collection service is primarily a residential service. However, at the discretion of the Contract Supervisor, Council will provide small businesses up to 2 sets of bins of a residential bin size (1 x 120L waste and 1 x 240L recycle) . This service will only be provided where a kerbside service is deemed suitable, and there is suitable space to store bins and collect waste.

This service will be charged at a commercial rate, added to the rates notice annually.

Hard Waste Collection

The City of Casey provides a twice yearly pre-booked hard waste collection to all occupied residential properties that have a waste charge on their rates. The purpose of the service is to remove domestic items that are too large to be placed in the waste service bin. The service cannot be accessed by commercial businesses.

The maximum hard waste collected per property per collection is three cubic metres.

Residents are responsible for using the hard waste service in accordance with the Waste and Recycling Annual Guide . Council reserves the right to refuse collection if the material is non-compliant or procedures are not followed for acceptable items for collection.

Services for the community

At the discretion of the Contract Supervisor, a waste and recycling collection (up to a maximum of 8 recycling bins, 6 waste bins, 4 garden waste bins and the option of two pre-booked hard waste collections annually) will be subsidised by Council and provided free of charge to the following properties (refer Table 1. below):

  • Emergency Services including (SES), Country Fire Authority brigades and Ambulance Services
  • Schools *
  • Community Health Centres
  • Maternal & Child Health Centres
  • Sporting clubs using council facilities
  • Community managed council facilities **
  • Service League sub branches and Scouts and Guide groups,
  • Places of worship.

* Schools includes pre-schools, primary, secondary and tertiary schools

** Neighbourhood houses, youth centres, public halls

Table 1. Summary of eligible Kerbside Bin Services:


Waste Bins

Recycle Bins

Garden Bins

Hard Waste Bookings

Residential Property

1 - 2

1 - 2

0 - 2

0 - 2

Commercial Businesses

0 - 2

0 - 2




0 - 6

0 - 8

0 - 4

0 – 2


Bin and hard waste service

All bins will remain the property of the City of Casey and may not be removed from the property without the prior consent of the Contract Supervisor. Landlords must supply a 120 litre waste bin to their tenants unless the tenant agrees to use an 80 litre bin.

Bins and hard waste will only be collected outside the boundary of each property, unless other arrangements are agreed to by the Contract Supervisor. Waste collection will occur weekly on a nominated day of the week by council, and recycling and garden waste collection will be collected on alternate weeks as a fortnightly collection.

The City of Casey reserves the right to remove a bin that is continuously used incorrectly e.g. waste other than the permitted waste is being placed in the bin. Waste management will notify residents of incorrect use, but should the issue not be rectified, on the third occurrence council may remove a bin for up to six months. Where a service has been removed, the service may be re-instated after six months upon request and assurance by the resident that the misuse will stop. 

Hard waste will be collected at a nominated time up to twice a calendar year, after a booking is made by the resident of the property.

Boarding houses/ special accommodation

Allocation of residential and commercial waste charges are guided by the descriptors in the Australian Valuation Property Classification Codes. Properties that have a tertiary land use code of 13 (Investment Residential) or 14 (Retirement / Aged Care / Special Accommodation) in the Code may apply for additional bins (at a charge) outside the usual number of allowed bins at the discretion of the Contract Supervisor.

Replacement and maintenance of bins

Bins will be replaced if irreparable or missing, upon receipt of a report from the resident.

Where a new resident is left with waste in a bin from a previous occupant, Council may, at the discretion of the Contract Supervisor, arrange a one off collection to remove the waste.

Waste charge

The cost of providing the Waste Collection will be incorporated into Council’s annual waste charge in accordance with section 162 of the Local Government Act (1989).

The waste charge will be applied to the rates notice of each eligible property and reviewed annually as part of the Council budget process.

The waste charge will be applied to all rateable residential properties regardless of whether the resident utilises the services. Where waste collection is undertaken by a private contractor in accordance with the approved planning permit, Council will apply an amenity charge to each tenancy to cover; hard waste collection, street sweeping, dumped rubbish collection, litter bin collection, management of contaminated land and administration costs.

Properties with Australian Valuation Property Classification Codes 113 Granny Flat/Studio or 114 Dwelling and Dependent Unit are exempt from the waste charge, if bins are not supplied.

Administrative Updates

It is recognised that, from time to time, circumstances may change leading to the need for minor administrative changes to this document.  Where an update does not materially alter this document, such a change may be made administratively.  Examples include a change to the name of a Council department, a change to the name of a Federal or State Government department, and a minor update to legislation which does not have a material impact.  However, any change or update which materially alters this document must be by resolution of Council.


The next review of this document is scheduled for completion by 30 November 2022.


Have you found the information you were looking for?