Staying connected online has never been more important than it is today. Free public WiFi helps you stay in touch with loved ones, and lets you work or study while enjoying some of Casey’s open spaces. Council provides numerous free public WiFi locations across the municipality to enable our community to stay connected.
Access to free public WiFi can be found at many of our community centres during opening hours, as well as other convenient sites within the community. Some of these sites offer free device charging as well. Check the table below to find out where to access these services and what is available at each site.
These sites are varied but may include:
Staying safe on public WiFi
No public WiFi network is ever completely secure. If your WiFi connection is not encrypted it is possible for others on the network to monitor information passing between your device and the network.
Here are some steps you can take to improve your security and stay safe on a public WiFi network:
- Avoid sensitive transactions such as banking on public WiFi
- Use trusted anti-virus software.
- Use a VPN service to protect your data.
- Make sure your device is running its latest software and security updates.
- Have strong passwords.
Staying safe online
The below resources can help you understand how to protect yourself and stay safe online:
- eSmart: eSmart provides educational tools to help raise awareness and tackle cyberbullying.
- eSafety website: If your children experience cyberbullying then eSafety can help provide you with information on how to protect them.
- Kids Helpline: Younger community members between 5 and 25 can access free and confidential online and phone counselling 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 1800 551 800
- iParent: Learn how to protect your family using the safety settings on their web connected devices.
- Stay Smart Online: Learn the risks and understand the steps you can take to protect your personal and financial information online.
More information or complaints about cyber safety
The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) manages public complaints about cyber security and provides a range of information on the subject of cybersecurity.
ACMA also completes:
- cyber safety research
- information awareness campaigns and activities
- education materials for use in schools.
Terms and conditions
By using the City of Casey public WiFi, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions.
Open the terms and conditions
The purpose of the Public WiFi Terms and Conditions is to ensure that users of the City of Casey’s Public WiFi facility (“Public WiFi Service” “Casey Free WiFi” or “Doveton Free WiFi”) understand that:
By accessing or using the City of Casey WiFi, you agree to the terms and conditions without limitation and accordingly you should read these terms and conditions carefully before connecting;
These terms and conditions may be updated by the City of Casey from time to time. Your use of the Public WiFi Services is subject to the terms and conditions as they exist when you use the Public WiFi Service.
If you do not agree to these terms and conditions, you must not access or use the Public WiFi Service.
These terms and conditions apply to all guests using the Public WiFi Service.
City of Casey continue to adopt new technologies to align with Council’s business plans and better services to community. To align with Council’s digital strategy and Smart community, it is proposed to provide free Internet service through WiFi in public spaces throughout the community. This digital initiative from Council will help to improve the visitor experience to the precincts and Council areas. The City of Casey will take reasonable action to endeavour to provide reliable, secure and stable access to the Public WiFi Service, but cannot guarantee that the Public WiFi Service will be available, un-interrupted, fault-free, secure or otherwise suitable for your intended purpose. City of Casey will take reasonable steps to monitor and attend to any faults, malfunctions or other problems associated with the Public WiFi service, but will not be liable if such faults, malfunctions or problems occur, and shall not be obligated to rectify any such faults within any specified timeframes.
If you are in the process of downloading a file and lose connection to the Public WiFi service, your partially downloaded file will be lost. We encourage you to save your work regularly while using the Public WiFi service and take precautions to prevent loss of information. Users are responsible for setting up their own equipment to access the Public WiFi service. Staff will not provide technical assistance and will not assume any responsibility for personal hardware configurations, security or changes to data files resulting from connecting to the Public WiFi service. It is recommended that users make a backup copy of any settings before configuring their equipment on the Public WiFi service.
Accessing the Public WiFi Service
To use the City of Casey free Public WiFi Service, you must:
- Connect to the WiFi hotspot using your wireless enabled device; and
- Read the terms and conditions that apply, and
- Accept those terms and conditions.
Only authorised users may access the Public WiFi Service. When you session expires you will automatically be logged out of the Public WiFi Service and will need to start a new session to regain access.
At any time, the City of Casey, may refuse access to any individual. Individuals not complying with the terms and conditions may be subject to loss of access. City of Casey will determine when the individual may request renewed access. Where a breach of these terms and conditions is reasonably suspected by the City of Casey to involve criminal action or otherwise placing any person or property in danger, the City of Casey may refer the matter to the police or to other authorities or agencies for investigation. Employees of the City of Casey may be subject to additional work related penalties for violating these terms and conditions.
The Public WiFi Service is not suitable for supporting any application or use which requires continuous, fault-free, or secure network connectivity, or uninterrupted data traffic flow. The City of Casey will not be liable if access to the Public WiFi Service becomes unstable, unsecured, slow, unreliable, or unavailable for any reason whatsoever. If you are in the process of downloading a file and lose connection to the Public WiFi Service, your partially downloaded file will likely be lost. We encourage you to save your work regularly while using the guest WiFi and take precautions to prevent loss of information. The City of Casey will take reasonable steps to monitor and attend to any faults, malfunctions or other problems associated with the Public WiFi Service, but will not be liable if such faults, malfunctions or problems occur, and shall not be obligated to rectify any such faults within any specified timeframes. The City of Casey may suspend or withdraw the Public WiFi Service should it decide to do so.
The City of Casey will take reasonable action to provide secure access to the Public WiFi Service. However, due to the nature of WiFi the City of Casey cannot guarantee the security of your connection to the Public WiFi Service. Please be aware that there is a risk of third parties gaining un-authorised access to your device or your data through the Public WiFi Service.
Private and Sensitive Data
You are solely responsible for any information or data uploaded, downloaded or otherwise communicated using the Public WiFi Service, and are responsible for keeping all usernames, passwords and other security-based information secure and private at all times.
The City of Casey will not be liable for any kind of loss or damage incurred directly or indirectly as a result of your use of the Public WiFi Service. The City of Casey strongly recommends you install a personal antivirus and firewall on your wireless enabled device to block unwanted traffic and potentially malicious files.
The City of Casey may, at its discretion, block access to certain websites and services as they may create a hostile environment for others in the surrounding space. This includes but is not limited to websites and/or services that may:
Provide access to, create, store, distribute or display offensive, pornographic, defamatory, or illegal text, graphics, audio or video.
- Be used for online gambling.
- Be used to harass or attempt to harass other people.
- Promote conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory or libellous.
- Promote any criminal activity or enterprise or provide instructional information about illegal activities.
You must not use the Public WiFi Service to:
- Engage in (or attempt to engage in) any illegal act;
- Unlawfully interfere with any communication network or computer system;
- Disrupt the use of the Public WiFi Service by any other person;
- Send spam emails;
- Send unsolicited advertising;
- Use software or applications that may assist in breaching these terms and conditions.
When connected to the Public WiFi System you must not access websites and/or internet services that:
- May contain any viruses, malware or other computer programming routines that may damage, modify, delete, detrimentally interfere with, or access without authority any City of Casey system, data or personal information.
- May provide access to, create, store, distribute or display offensive, pornographic or illegal text, graphics, audio or video.
- May be used for online gambling.
- May be used to harass or attempt to harass other people.
- May be offensive or promote racism, bigotry, hatred, discrimination, or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual.
- May promote conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory, or libellous.
- May further or promote any criminal activity or enterprise, or provide instructional information about illegal activities, including but not limited to:
- Making or buying illegal weapons.
- Violating someone’s privacy.
- Creating computer viruses or malware.
The City of Casey reserves the right to collect personal information about you in relation to your access to and use of the Public WiFi Service. The following information may be collected:
- Your email address.
- Your device's MAC address.
- The addresses of the websites and webpages you visit while you are connected to the Public WiFi Service.
- The date and time when you accessed the Public WiFi System.
Any other personal information that may be reasonably required to establish the identity of the person using a device connected to the Public WiFi Service. The City of Casey collects your browser history for the purpose of verifying that your use of the Public WiFi Service complies with these terms and conditions.
Staff will only be able to access data collected about persons using the Public WiFi System following approval of Council’s Manager People & Culture or Manager Legal Support. These two Managers may access the data for the purposes of investigations falling within their areas of responsibility. Council’s response to external requests from law enforcement or integrity agencies for access to date about persons using the Public WiFi System will be overseen by Council’s Manager Legal Support. Audits may also be undertaken with the approval of the Chief Executive Officer of the Strategic Director Corporate Services.
Disclosure and Publication of Personal Information
The City of Casey will not disclose your personal information for any commercial purpose, but we may disclose your personal information to our technology providers, policy, and other law enforcement agencies where relevant in connection with:
- The investigation of a potential crime, or otherwise in connection with a breach or suspected breach of these terms and conditions.
- A court or tribunal order for production of documents or information.
- Australian law (for example, disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 1982).
Accessing Personal Information
It is the responsibility of every City of Casey IT system and network user to know these requirements and comply with them. Actual or suspected breaches will be reported and investigated. Data breaches will be reported and investigated as per Council’s Data Breach Response Plan. A breach of these terms and conditions will result in disciplinary action based on the seriousness of the breach. Where a breach is consistent with an illegal action or actions leading to criminal conviction, the City of Casey will refer the matter to the police for investigation