If you intend to build any sort of structure over a draining easement, you will first need to check if you need to apply to build over the easement.
Under regulation 130 of the Building Regulations 2018, if your work requires a building permit, then you must also submit an application for a permit to build over an easement.
Work which may require a Build Over Eastement application includes the building of:
- and dwellings including offices, shops and factories, etc.
An application is also required for any structures that are proposed to be constructed within 1 metre of one of our assets, regardless of whether a building permit would be required for the works.
Permanent structures, such as habitable rooms of dwellings, offices, shops and factories, may not be constructed over a drainage easement.
To apply for a permit to build over an easement:
- Complete the Build Over Easement Application form.
- Attach one set of properly prepared plans, full dimensional and drawn to scale. Further detail can be found in the application form.
- Use the Credit Card Payment form to pay by credit card.
An application fee of $290.40 applies. Fees are non-refundable and valid until 30 June 2021.
How to submit
Submit your completed form and payment:
- Via email to email@example.com.
What happens next?
- We will assess your application. This involves referral of the application to our Engineering team.
- Automatic approval will not always be granted. Each application will be assessed on its merits.
- We may request further information from you. You may need to change your plans or designs.
- If your application is refused, you will have the opportunity to appeal our decision to the Building Appeals Board.
For more information on approvals, see: Onsite Stormwater Detention Policy.
Other required approvals
Contact the relevant authorities (refer to your property title) to obtain approval prior to commencement of any works over the easement.
Additional information regarding sewerage assets and approvals is also available on the South East Water website.