On this page
You can lodge your application for a planning permit online.
Apply for a planning permit online
If you have a straightforward application that could be fast-tracked, please submit a VicSmart planning permit assessment.
The documentation you must provide
When lodging your planning application, you should include the following documents. Otherwise, your application will be automatically rejected:
- A completed and signed Application for a Planning Permit form.
- A full and current (no older than 30 days) copy of your Certificate of Title including the Plan of Subdivision and correct ownership details. You can download instructions on how to get your Certificate of Title online.
- A full copy of any registered restrictive covenant or Section 173 Agreements that may apply to your land. These are included on your Certificate of Title or as an attachment to it.
- A digital copy of your plans.
- A covering letter (optional) with a description of the nature of the proposal, the proposed hours and days of operation (if required) and any other relevant information.
- The application fee. This will generally depend on the cost of the proposed development and/or use.
- Any material submitted with your application, including plans and personal information, will be made available for public viewing. Copies may also be made for interested parties for consideration and review.
- The information needed on the Application for Planning Permit form is required under Section 47 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 and regulations 15 and 38 of the Planning and Environment Regulations 2005.
VicSmart planning assessments
VicSmart is an assessment process to fast-track straightforward planning permit applications. Your planning permit application may qualify under the VicSmart fast track assessment if it complies with specific criteria.
Other ways to apply
If you have tried to lodge your application online and were not able to do so, please download and complete an Application for a Planning Permit. If you wish to pay via credit card, please also download and complete a Credit Card Authorisation Form. If you were not able to submit your VicSmart application online, please download and complete an Application for a VicSmart Planning permit.
Submit your completed forms:
What happens next
- Your application will be assigned to a planning officer.
- You can track it using our online register.
- The planning officer will undertake a preliminary assessment and contact you.
- For more information about how we process your application, see: How your planning application is assessed.
- For more information on the decision process, see: Deciding on a planning application.
Metropolitan planning levy
The Planning and Environment Act 1987 requires a levy payment before making a planning permit application for developments valued at over $1,207,000.00 (2023/24 indexed annually) within metropolitan council areas (including the whole area within City of Casey).
More information, including how to apply for a Metropolitan Planning Levy certificate, can be found on the State Revenue Office website.
Talk to us
We’re here to help you with general planning matters. We encourage you to talk to us before you submit your planning application. This could save you time and help you to submit your application correctly.
To talk to the planner on duty: