To submit an asset protection permit application, you must:
- inspect and photograph your building site for pre-existing damage to Council assets
- notify us of any existing damage in your online permit application
- ensure you are familiar with the relevant fees that apply to your application
- ensure you have read understood the terms and conditions that apply to your application
How to apply
If you are unable to apply online, please complete the Asset Protection Permit Application form.
You can notify us of any damage by submitting the City of Casey Pre-existing Damage Report Template or your own pre-existing damage report.
Please submit the application form, damage report template and payment:
What happens next
If approved, we will either:
- email your permit within 3-5 working days if you applied online
- process your paper application within 7-10 days and then post your permit to you (allow a further 3-5 days)
Once you have received your permit, you can start your building works.
Your permit is valid for 12 months from the date of issue.
When you must apply for a permit
You must apply for an Asset Protection Permit if you are planning to build (or undertake demolition works) in City of Casey. You cannot start any building works (including the delivery of any materials and equipment) until a permit is granted.
Building works that require a permit
The following is a list of common building works that will need a permit:
- construction of a dwelling, unit, garage, pool house or building
- demolition or removal of a structure
- extension to a dwelling
- additions or alterations to a dwelling
- construction or installation of a swimming pool or spa
- fencing with continuous concrete strip footing, brick or masonry fencing
- commercial or industrial development
- structural or civil works
Other building works may need a permit. If the building work you are planning is not listed above, contact us for more information.
Building works that do not require a permit
The following is a list of common building works that will not need a permit:
- construction of decking or a verandah
- construction of a pergola, carport or alfresco
- restumping or underpinning of a dwelling or unit
- installation of a pool or spa safety barrier
- office fit-out or tenancy fit-out
A Council asset is a structure that has a public service function and may require management and upkeep. They include, but are not limited to:
- nature strips
- kerb and channel
- drainage pits and pipes
- street furniture
- street trees
- service pits
These assets are protected under the Asset Protection Permit Local Law 2016.
Application fee and security bond
There are two payments required with your application:
- Non-refundable permit application fee: $275 (GST incl.)
- Minimum security bond: $1000
Higher security bonds for commercial developments
The minimum security bond applies to most residential building works.
For commercial and large-scale developments, including multi-lot subdivisions, you may need to pay a higher security bond. In such cases, we will issue you with a revised security bond. You must pay the revised security bond in full before we can issue your permit.
Reclaim your security bond
To reclaim your security bond, you must notify us your works have finished within 7 days. You can do this by requesting a final inspection of Council assets.