Skip to main content

Make a planning complaint

If you believe that someone is not complying with current planning laws, you should make a complaint.

What your complaint should include

Complaints should include, at a minimum:

  • Your name, address and telephone number (as Council may contact you for further information)
  • The address of the site where the activity or works are occurring.
  • A description of the activity/works which are being carried out.
  • Details of any relevant planning permit(s) that may apply (not always applicable).
  • How the development/activity affects you
  • The outcome you are seeking from Council.
  • Any other relevant information.

All your information will be kept confidential – however, if the matter is heard in court you may be required to give evidence.

How to submit your complaint

You can make your complaint in writing:

What happens next?

When a complaint is lodged with Council, a Planning Investigation Officer will investigate the matter and check the following:

  • Was a planning permit required?
  • If yes, does that planning permit exist?
  • If there is an existing permit, what does the planning permit allow?
  • Are there any other relevant planning controls?
  • Do any permit exemptions apply in this matter?

What action can be taken?

Depending on the severity of the breach, our Planning Investigation Officers have the discretion to carry out the following actions:

  1. Informally negotiate with the alleged offender to resolve the matter
  2. Serve a Planning Contravention Notice
  3. Issuing of fines or other documents under the Infringements Act.
  4. Seek an enforcement order through the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal
  5. Requesting VCAT to cancel or amend a permit
  6. Prosecution in the Magistrate’s Court for more serious breaches which may result in large fines up to $178,560.

Talk to us

For general advice on planning laws and enforcement within City of Casey, please contact our Planning team:

Have you found the information you were looking for?