Before a building permit, you may need a flooding application if the land is prone to flooding. If you are unsure whether a property is located within land subject to flooding, you may obtain a Property Information Certificate from Council.
Before lodging your application, please discuss with the private building surveyor engaged for the issue of the building permit, as exemptions may apply.
An application fee of $299.80 applies. Fees are non-refundable and valid from 1 July 2022.
How to apply
To apply for a flooding application:
- Complete the Flooding Application form
- Attach a set of properly prepared plans that demonstrate the proposal in terms of appearance and construction. These should include full dimensions drawn to scale, plan and elevation view, a copy of the approved plan of subdivision for the property. In certain circumstances, the plans may be requested to include finished floor levels to Australian Height Datum (AHD).
- Use the Credit Card Authorisation Form to pay by credit card. Fees may also be paid by cheque or through our customer service centre.
Submit your completed form and payment:
- Via email to [email protected].
- In person at one of our customer service centres.
The application can be lodged by the owner, builder, architect, draftsperson or any properly authorised agent of the owner. However, it is recommended that the application be made either by or in consultation with, the relevant building surveyor.
What happens next?
Complete applications will be processed within 15 business days.
Visit the VBA website for further information on flooding requirements.