Contact a building surveyor to obtain a permit
Building permits are issued by a private building surveyor engaged by the owner and registered with the Victorian Building Authority (VBA), the regulator of Victoria's building and plumbing industries.
Find out how you can find a building surveyor.
About building surveyors
Building surveyors are responsible under law to comply with the Building Act and the Building Code of Australia. A building surveyor can provide advice on:
- Timeframes for legal requirements.
- Existing condition of a building, including issues like failing foundations, cracks in walls, etc.
- Type and number of inspections required during the construction period.
- Building legislation and general building issues.
- How to bring an existing building into compliance with safety standards.
Building surveyors need a tertiary qualification, must be insured and must be registered with the Building Practitioners Board.