Building permits are issued by a building surveyor engaged by the owner and registered with the Victorian Building Authority (VBA), the regulator of Victoria's building and plumbing industries.
About building surveyors
Building surveyors are responsible under law to comply with the Building Act and the Building Code of Australia. A building surveyor can provide advice on:
- Timeframes for legal requirements.
- Existing condition of a building, including issues like failing foundations, cracks in walls, etc.
- Type and number of inspections required during the construction period.
- Building legislation and general building issues.
- How to bring an existing building into compliance with safety standards.
Building surveyors need a tertiary qualification, must be insured and must be registered with the Building Practitioners Board.
Find out how you can find a building surveyor.