You may apply for an extension of time to the commencement or completion date of your planning permit via the planning applications portal. Search for your planning application and select Extension of Time to Planning Permit.
Important information when requesting an extension
If you are requesting to extend an existing planning permit, you must make this request:
- before or within 6 months after the permit expiry commencement date, where the use or development allowed by the permit has not yet started
- within 12 months after the permit expiry completion date, where the development allowed by the permit has lawfully started before the permit expires.
We cannot extend a permit if the request is made outside the above timeframes, and you will not be able to apply to VCAT for a review of the matter.
Documentation you must provide
You will be required to provide the following information:
- Proposed time frames for commencement/completion.
- Reasons as to why you require the extension.
- Proof that the development has lawfully commenced before the expiry date.
If you can’t submit online
If you have attempted to submit online but were unable to do so, please complete a hardcopy Extension of Time to Planning Permit form. This form must be completed by the owner or occupier of the land, if you are not the owner/occupier of the land, you must have written consent to act on their behalf.
You can submit the form and relevant documentation:
- Via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Via post addressed to Planning.
- In person at one of our Customer Service Centres.
What happens next
A planning officer will assess your application and contact you.
Talk to us
We’re here to help you with your planning questions. To talk to the planner on duty: