Skip to main content

Places of Public Entertainment (POPE) and Temporary Structures

When do you need a permit

A place of public entertainment is a building or place used or intended to be used for conducting public entertainment or a public meeting - being either of the following:

  • A public assembly building of more than 500m2 or
  • A place of more than 500m2, which may include the erection of a prescribed temporary structure being one of the following:
  • A seating stand for more than 20 persons
  • A marquee of more than 100m2
  • A tent of more than 100m2
  • A booth of more than 100m2
  • A stage or platform of more than 150m2

Public Entertainment means an entertainment or meeting to which admission may ordinarily be gained by members of the public.

Examples of Public Entertainment

  • Circus
  • Grand Prix
  • Rodeo
  • Cinema in the Park
  • Community Fair / Show (eg Melbourne Show)
  • Kids Carnival
  • Community Cup
  • Live Performances (e.g. rock concerts)

When a siting is required

A siting of a temporary structure is required to be obtained prior to erection of any of the following structures:

  • Tents, marquees or booths with a floor area greater than 100m2, or
  •  Stages or platforms (including sky borders and stage wings) exceeding 150m2 in floor area, or
  •  Seating stands for more than 20 persons, or
  •  Prefabricated buildings exceeding 100m2 other than ones placed directly on the ground surface.


The regulations exempt  community-based organisations from the requirements of an occupancy permit for place of public entertainment, if

  • The public entertainment is conducted in an outdoor recreational facility (e.g. football ground, park, reserves) greater than 500m2, and
  • No temporary structures erected, and
  • The number of persons in the place at any one time during the event or activity is less than 5000 persons.


For further information visit the VBA Practice Note.

Application forms

Have you found the information you were looking for?