Noise restrictions | City of Casey
Skip to main content

Noise restrictions

Residential noise

If you are experiencing ongoing and unreasonable noise in a residential area, there are a number of ways to fix the problem.

1. Talk to your neighbour

Before you take any action, you should talk to your neighbour. Your neighbour may not even be aware of the noise they are making.

If you don't feel comfortable speaking with your neighbour:

Talk to your Owners' Corporation (formerly Body Corporate)

If you live in a body corporate or apartment, direct your complaints to the manager of the Owners’ Corporation.

Consumer Affairs Victoria has more information about how to complain to your Owners' Corporation.

2. Fill out a noise log

If you make a complaint to us, you may be required to download and fill out a noise log.

By providing evidence of specific dates and times that the noise is occurring, we can investigate the matter for you. Please ensure you complete the noise log for at least 2 weeks, or until you complete the log.

3. Return the completed noise log to us

After you have completed the noise log for at least 2 weeks, return it to us. We will investigate the matter within 48 hours. Depending on the complaint and the result of our investigation, we may need to contact you for more information.

Anti-social or threatening noise

If your noise problem happens after hours and is anti-social or threatening, the Police should be contacted by calling 000 at the time of the offence.

Noise from new developments

If you have a problem with noise from a new development, you should contact the developer or builder directly. Their contact details or company name are generally displayed on signage or on work vehicles.

The EPA website has more information on how to deal with noise issues, including when Council or the police can get involved.

Mowing in parks and reserves

Council does undertake mowing and gardening works in our parks and reserves. This work will only be done:

  • Mon - Sat: 7am - 6pm
  • Sun and public holidays: 9am - 6pm

We may have to undertake emergency work outside of these hours. If work is being done outside of these hours, please contact us to discuss.

Commercial or industrial noise

Please contact us to make a complaint relating to commercial or industrial noise.

One of our Officers for the Protection of the Local Environment (OPLE) will investigate your complaint.

Was this helpful?