Skip to main content
We are working to address the impact of the storms on Tuesday 13 February.

Dealing with noise

How complaints are handled 

Dealing with noise can be difficult, especially when the noise is something you do not expect or have never experienced in your neighbourhood.

Many noise complaints reported to Council are ‘one off’ events that do not have the required evidence for the noise to be regarded as ‘unreasonable’. Officers often attend noise complaints to find themselves in ongoing neighbour to neighbour issues which are not necessarily noise complaints.

Council officers can investigate and decide whether noise is unreasonable. 

They consider:

  • volume and intensity
  • what the noise sounds like – its character
  • time and place  
  • circumstances 
  • how long the noise continues 
  • how often the noise occurs.

Here are ways to report noise pollution

Residential noise

Residential noise is regulated under the Environment Protection Act 2017.  

The Environment Protection Regulations 2021 cover specific sources of noise from residential properties.  A list of prescribed times and their prohibited times can be found here
residence. In general, you cannot make noise:

  • Monday - Friday: before 7 am or after 9 pm*
  • On weekends and public holidays: before 9 am or after 11 pm*

*Time restrictions depend on what's causing the noise. Visit the EPA website for more details on time restrictions for residential noise.

How to address noise issues

If you are experiencing ongoing and unreasonable noise in a residential area, there are several ways to fix the problem:

1. Talk to your neighbour

Before you take any action, you should talk to your neighbour. Your neighbour may not even be aware of the noise they are making.

If you don't feel comfortable speaking with your neighbour:

2. Talk to your Owners' Corporation (formerly Body Corporate)

If you live in a body corporate or apartment, direct your complaints to the manager of the Owners’ Corporation.

Consumer Affairs Victoria has more information about how to complain to your Owners' Corporation.

3. Making a report about ‘ongoing’ residential noise

Contact our customer service team to make a report about an ongoing residential noise issue. 
Council officers may require you to keep a noise diary.  This will greatly assist us in being able to better understand your noise issue, how it is impacting on you and what can be done to resolve it.   

Anti-social or threatening noise

If your noise problem happens after hours and is anti-social or threatening, the police should be contacted by calling 000 at the time of the offence.

Noise from new developments

If you have a problem with noise from a new development, you should contact the developer or builder directly. Their contact details or company name are generally displayed on signage or work vehicles.

The EPA website has more information on how to deal with noise issues, including when Council or the police can get involved.

Mowing in parks and reserves

Council does undertake mowing and gardening works in our parks and reserves. This work will only be done:

  • Monday - Saturday: 7 am - 6 pm
  • Sunday and public holidays: 9 am - 6 pm

We may have to undertake emergency work outside of these hours. If work is being done outside of these hours, please contact us to discuss.

Commercial or industrial noise

Please contact the Environment Protection Authority(EPA)  to make a complaint relating to commercial or industrial noise.

An EPA Officer will investigate your complaint.

Report unreasonable noise

To complain about council works noise or commercial or industrial noise, use Snap Send Solve, an easy and efficient way to report noise.

Report noise

or call our Customer Service Team at 9705 5200.

Have you found the information you were looking for?