Skip to main content

Extra animals

How many animals can I keep?

The maximum number of animals you can keep without a permit depends on your land size.

To find out the size of your land, visit Your Property.

You can also enquire about your type of pet through one of our online forms:

Excess animal Permit (Cat)

Excess animal Permit (Combination Cats and Dogs)

Excess animal Permit (Dog)

Excess animal Permit (Goat)

Excess animal Permit (Large Bird)

Excess animal Permit (Livestock)

Excess animal Permit (Small Bird)

Cats and dogs

If you have more cats or dogs than allowed for your property size, you must apply for an Excess Animal permit. You must also register your pet cat or dog.


Livestock is any animal, other than a cat or dog, used for primary production or kept for recreational purposes (Impounding of Livestock Act 1994).

Under Casey Community Local Law 2018, livestock cannot be kept on any property under 4000m2 (1 acre).

If your property is under 4000m2 (1 acre)

If your property is under 4000m2 (1 acre), you need an Excess Animals permit to keep more than:

  • 2 dogs
  • 2 cats
  • 6 poultry (duck, geese, peacock, pheasant, turkey, guinea fowl, female chicken, and any other edible bird over the age of 12 weeks. Does not include a rooster)
  • 5 large birds (pigeon, cockatoo or other bird of similar or larger size of any age. Does not include poultry)
  • 20 small birds (budgerigar, canary, finch or other similar size or smaller bird)
  • 5 rabbits
  • 8 guinea pigs or ferrets

If your property is over 4000m2 (1 acre)

If your property is over 4000m2 (1 acre), you need an Excess Animals permit to keep more than:

  • 4 dogs
  • 4 cats

How to apply

Please complete an Excess Animals and Livestock Permit Application form.


New applications will need a property inspection. Also, authorised officers may conduct ad hoc inspections at any time.


There is a non-refundable application fee of $130.

If you wish to pay by credit card, please complete a Credit Card Authorisation form.

Submit your application

Submit your application form and payment:

What happens next?

  • We will consider your application and may be in contact if we need further information.
  • A Council officer will contact you to arrange an inspection of your property.
  • If approved, your permit will be sent to you. If not approved, we will contact you. Please allow 1 month.


All excess animal permits must be renewed every year.

To renew your permit, please complete and submit an Excess Animal and Livestock Permit application form.

You do not have to pay the application fee to renew your permit.

Permit changes

Casey must be notified of any changes to the permit conditions including:

  • Change in animal numbers (increase or decrease)
  • Breed of animal

Excess Animal permits are not transferrable. If you move or the details of any of the animals at the property change, you must re-apply and pay another permit fee.

Renew your permit

  • All permits are valid for 12 months. Ongoing customers are issued with a permit renewal notice and invoiced approximately 30 days prior to the expiration of their existing permit.


Have you found the information you were looking for?