Skip to main content

Cats in Casey


Registration tags

You must ensure your cat is wearing its registration tag at all times. Wearing a registration tag means we can identify your pet if it's lost. If your cat is found without a registration tag, you may receive a fine.

It's also a good idea to put your name and phone number on your cat’s collar. This can help us get your cat back to you quickly and easily.

Order a new/replacement cat tag

If cannot order a new or replacement tag for your cat online, please contact Council.

You can also register your cat via the Casey website.


Keep your cat within your property

Most Casey residents can own up to two cats without a permit, depending on the property size. Find out whether you need a permit for keeping extra animals.

You must keep your cat within your property at all times. By keeping your cat in your property, you can help it live up to 3 times longer. Your cat will not get hit by cars, get injured in a fight or catch any diseases.

Under the Casey Community Local Law 2018 and the Domestic Animals Act 1994, you may be fined if your cat is found wandering outside your property.

If you have a problem with a neighbourhood cat, you can make a complaint.


Nuisance cats

Under the Casey Community Local Law 2018, cats can be a nuisance if:

  • they repeatedly leave their owner's property (Clause 13)
  • make a lot of noise (Clause 14)
  • litter in neighbouring gardens or children's sandpits

If you have a problem with your neighbour's cat or dog, you should first talk to the pet's owner. We find that most issues can be resolved with a friendly chat. If talking to your neighbour doesn't solve the problem, you can make a complaint.

Note: we do not offer cat cages for hire.

Make a complaint about nuisance cats

  1. Notify the owner of the cat in writing that the cat is a nuisance and should be kept away from your property. Include when the cat was in your property, what it is doing, a description of the cat and photos (if available). Please keep a copy of this letter for future reference.
  2. If the written notification doesn't help, you can notify us in writing about the problem. Please include a copy of the initial letter and photos of the cat. You can submit your complaint by email at [email protected] or by post.
  3. Where you have been able to identify where the cat belongs to, we will contact the owner and discuss the matter/issue with them. This will be supported with a Notice to Comply addressed to the cat's owner. This will tell the owner what they need to do to make sure their cat is no longer a nuisance.
  4. If the cat continues to be a nuisance, we can take further action, including fines and impounding the cat.

Please note, we cannot investigate a cat nuisance issue if you cannot identify where the cat is coming from.

If you believe a neighbour has excess cats at a property, you can make a complaint online:

Excess Cat Numbers Complaint


Cats living in Botanic Ridge or Settlers Run

You are not permitted to keep a cat - including indoors - if you live in: 

  • Botanic Ridge 
  • Settlers Run 
  • The part of Junction Village within the Botanic Ridge Precinct Structure Plan area or within the Urban Growth Zone (Schedule 4).

All land titles in the Botanic Ridge Estate are encumbered by a restriction known as a Section 173 Agreement. It is an offence under Section 126 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 to keep a cat on land in these areas.

These areas are close to the Royal Botanic Gardens, Cranbourne. The gardens are home to many native and endangered animals, including the endangered Southern Brown Bandicoot. Cats are natural predators and are a danger to these native animals.

If you currently own a cat

If you currently own a cat in either of these areas, you must rehouse it and provide evidence to us. Failure to comply can result in legal action.

If your cat is already registered and you rehouse it, you can cancel your registration

If you see a cat belonging to someone else

If you can identify which property a cat comes from in Botanic Ridge or Settlers Run, please contact us by phone at 9705 5200. Council will then investigate. 

Other restrictions and controls on my property

For specific advice about your property, you can undertake a title and property certificate search on the Landata website. 


Responsible cat breeding

You can notify us online if your cat has been desexed:

Desexed Cat Notification

Under the Casey Community Local Law 2018, all cats must be desexed unless:

  • the cat is over 10 years old
  • the cat is used for breeding in a registered breeding establishment
  • you're a member of an eligible organisation and the cat is registered with that organisation
  • a qualified vet recommends that desexing the cat would be harmful to its health

Breeders may sell cats that are intact, but you must desex your cat before it can be registered.