Pet registration checklist
To register your cat or dog for the first time, please make sure:
- Your cat or dog has not previously been registered in Casey. If you have previously registered your pet, you can renew the registration. If your pet was registered at another Council, or to another owner, you can transfer the registration.
- You do not have more than 2 cats and/or 2 dogs. If you have more pets, you may need a permit to keep excess animals and livestock.
- Your cat or dog is microchipped, or is exempt from being microchipped.
- Your cat is desexed, or is exempt from being desexed.
- Your dog is not menacing, dangerous or a restricted breed.
- You are over 18 years old. We cannot allow minors to register a pet.
Register your pet
If you are unable to register online, print and complete the pet registration form.
What happens next?
- We will post your pet's unique identification tag to you within 5-10 working days. You must attach the tag to your pet's collar. Your pet must wear its registration tag at all times.
- You must renew your pet's registration every year in April. We will send you a reminder when it's close to this time.
Pet registration fees
Half price registration period
Pet registration fees are half price between now and January 1, 2019. Your pet will be registered until April 2019. You will pay the regular fee when you renew the registration in April.
|Desexed cat or dog||$27.25||$13.50|
|Not desexed dog||$97.50||$48.75|
|Restricted breed, menacing or dangerous dogs||$170||$170|
|Service dog (guide dog, customs dog||Free||Free|
You are eligible for the puppy fee if your dog is under 6 months old and has not been desexed.
Your puppy will be registered for the first year. You will pay the regular fee when you renew the registration. If you have your puppy desexed, please let us know in order to receive the desexed cat or dog fee.
You're entitled to a discount on your pet registration if you hold any of the following concession cards:
- Pensioner Concession Card – issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card – War Widow (WW)
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card – Totally & Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
If your pet fits into one or more of the criteria below, you may be eligible for a reduced registration fee:
- The cat or dog is over 10 years old.
- The cat or dog is kept for breeding by the proprietor of a domestic animal business on registered premises.
- The cat or dog is registered with an eligible organisation.
- The dog has undergone obedience training with:
- Australian Association of Professional Dog Trainers Inc.
- The Gentle Dog Trainers Association Inc.
- Dogs Victoria
- Four Paws K9 Training
Farm working dog
You may be eligible for a discount on your registration if you are a primary producer (or employed by a primary producer) and your dog is:
• usually kept on rural land
• primarily kept or trained for the purpose of droving, protecting, tending, or working stock on a farm.
A primary producer is defined as someone whose primary source of income is generated from primary production as per the land tax definition, specifically in relation to animal production.
Owners of working dog breeds that do not meet the primary producer and farm working dog definitions are not eligible for legislative exemptions.
Where do your fees go
Your registration fees help Council provide many pet-related services, including:
- help to find your pet, if it's lost
- education programs
- investigating puppy farms and prosecuting operators
- more pet-friendly parks and other facilities throughout Casey