Skip to main content
See Council's latest advice on COVID-19.

Register your pet

Pet registration checklist

To register your cat or dog for the first time, please make sure:

Register your pet

Register online

If you are unable to register online, print and complete the pet registration form.

What happens next?

  • We will post your pet's unique identification tag to you within 5-10 working days. You must attach the tag to your pet's collar. Your pet must wear its registration tag at all times.
  • You must renew your pet's registration every year on April 10. We will send you a reminder when it's close to this time.

Pet registration fees

All pet registrations submitted between 1 January and 9 April will be valid till 9 April the following year.

Pet Full fee Pensioner
Desexed cat or dog $57.00 $28.50
Not desexed dog $200.00 $100.00
Puppy $100.00 $50.00
Reduced fee $57.00 $28.50
Restricted breed, menacing or dangerous dogs $360.00 $360.00
Service dog (guide dog, customs dog Free Free

All fees include the Victorian Government levy.

Victorian Government levy

The Victorian Government has levied a registration fee of $4.10 for each dog and cat. For more information about this levy, contact the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions on 136 186.


You are eligible for the puppy fee if your dog is under 6 months old and has not been desexed.

Your puppy will be registered for the first year. You will pay the regular fee when you renew the registration. If you have your puppy desexed, please let us know to receive the desexed cat or dog fee.


You're entitled to a discount on your pet registration if you hold any of the following concession cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card – issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card – War Widow (WW)
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card – Totally & Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)

Reduced fee criteria

If your pet fits into one or more of the criteria below, you may be eligible for a reduced registration fee:

  • The cat or dog is over 10 years old.
  • The cat or dog is registered with an eligible organisation.
  • The dog has undergone obedience training with:
    • Australian Association of Professional Dog Trainers Inc.
    • The Gentle Dog Trainers Association Inc.
    • Dogs Victoria
    • Four Paws K9 Training

Farm working dog

You may be eligible for a discount on your registration if you are a primary producer (or employed by a primary producer) and your dog is:

  • usually kept on rural land
  • primarily kept or trained for droving, protecting, tending, or working stock on a farm.  

A primary producer is defined as someone whose primary source of income is generated from primary production as per the land tax definition, specifically with animal production. 

Owners of working dog breeds that do not meet the primary producer and farm working dog definitions are not eligible for legislative exemptions.

Where do your fees go

Your registration fees help Council provide many pet-related services, including:

  • help to find your pet, if it's lost
  • education programs
  • investigating puppy farms and prosecuting operators
  • more pet-friendly parks and other facilities throughout Casey