Skip to main content
We are working to address the impact of the storms on Tuesday 13 February.

Information on Council's administrators

The Minister for Local Government has announced the panel of administrators for the City of Casey.

It follows a report tabled by Minister for Local Government Adem Somyurek on Casey City Council from the Municipal Monitor and the subsequent introduction of a Bill before Parliament which recommended the dismissal of all Casey City Council Councillors.

On 19 February 2020, the Parliament of Victoria voted to dismiss the City of Casey Councillors. 

Former media releases

Read the Local Government (Casey City Council) Bill 2020 
Read the City of Casey Municipal Monitor Report February 2020

Contact the administrators

You can also contact the panel of administrators for questions or feedback on items on the Council Meeting agenda. The administrators will receive these comments and may raise them at the Council Meeting.  Otherwise, messages will be responded to via email.

You can contact the administrators via the Casey Conversations website.


What are the role and responsibilities of an Administrator?

Administrators must perform all the functions, powers and duties of a Councillor of the Casey City Council as set out in the Local Government Act.

What happens to the role of the Mayor?

Where an Administrator or, a panel of Administrators is appointed, the Chairperson of the panel of Administrators, must perform all the functions, powers and duties of the Mayor of the Casey City Council.

What is the remuneration of the Administrators? Who pays for that?

An Administrator is entitled to payment and allowances and is employed on conditions set by the Minister. Remuneration and allowances will be paid by the City of Casey.

Normally when Administrators are appointed, people may end up losing their jobs or be made redundant as a result. Is that the case at the City of Casey? 

Administrators appointed in this Local Government context is not the same as the role and responsibilities of Administrators appointed in the private sector. Administrators must perform all the functions, powers and duties of a Councillor of the Casey City Council as set out in the Local Government Act. Administrators essentially replace the role and responsibilities of Councillors.

Will Council services still operate as normal?

The Executive Leadership Team, under the direction and leadership of the CEO, remains responsible for the operations of the City of Casey and all staffing decisions. Services will continue to operate as is. 

Casey had a monitor in 2016. Why weren’t the problems fixed then?

A monitor was appointed in 2016 following the Victorian Ombudsman’s report into the City of Casey’s Special Charge Scheme. The Monitor’s report detailed how the Ombudsman’s recommendations and concerns were handled by the Council. It also explained the initiatives implemented by the Council to ensure these changes were followed in the future. The most recent Monitor’s report and the current hearings before the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) concern different and separate issues and allegations. 

What does this mean for the IBAC hearings and investigation?

The Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) is Victoria's agency responsible for preventing and exposing public sector corruption and police misconduct. IBAC’s jurisdiction covers state and local government, police, parliament and the judiciary. Their Operation Sandon – through public examinations into allegations of serious corrupt conduct in relation to planning and property development decisions at the City of Casey Council involving Councillors (not Officers) and developers - will continue in 2020. Anyone with information relevant to the investigation is encouraged to report it to IBAC.

How can I raise my concerns when my local Councillor no longer represents me?

Administrators must perform all the functions, powers and duties of a Councillor of the Casey City Council, including representing the interests of Casey’s communities. You can contact the administrators via the Casey Conversations website.

You can also jump online to report an issue, such as problems with trees or roads, to leave feedback, or contact our Customer Service Centre between 8am and 6pm Mondays to Fridays on 03 9705 5200. Please be aware there are changes to  Council's face-to-face Customer Service Centres due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Have you found the information you were looking for?