Achieve unique learning outcomes in animal husbandry through our hands-on approach!
This program consists of two core and two elective units.
Program introduction (30 minutes)
- Learn about Myuna Farm and the variety of animals on site.
- Meet the animal husbandry team, discuss background and career progression.
- OHS and PPE relevant to key animal husbandry tasks.
Nutrition of farm mammals (1.5 hour)
- Discuss the various diets and digestive systems of farm mammals, including:
- explore feeding processes and supplements.
- Prepare and deliver animal feeds for the different types of farm animals discussed.
Incorporates sustainable work practices.
Paddocks – large mammal husbandry (45 minutes)
Animal focus: goats, alpacas or sheep
- Preparing and delivering environmental enrichment items
- Mustering and restraining
- Hoof trimming pending seasonal availability
- Health check
- Medical treatments depending on seasonal requirements
- Equipment examination and exploration of key livestock tools (OHS considerations also included)
Small mammal husbandry (45 minutes)
Animal focus: rabbits and guinea pigs
- General care
- Handling techniques
- Environmental enrichment
- Nail clipping
- Incorporates sustainable work practices.
Farm nursery – large mammal husbandry (45 minutes)
Animal focus: goats, lambs, kids, crias, calves (depending on seasonal availability)
- Examining lactation cycle
- Practicing goat milking
- Restraining techniques for nursery animals
- Health assessments of nursery animals (age/dentition, coat, sexing, weighing, heart rates and temperature).
- Sustainability features of the farm nursery identified and incorporated into activity.
Poultry health and care (45 minutes)
Animal Focus: Chickens and Ducks.
- Pen maintenance – Cleaning and hygiene
- Poultry health checks
- Providing external parasite treatment
- Providing feed and enrichment
- Sustainability features incorporated
The program generally runs from 10.00 am to 2.00 pm. Start and finish times can be flexible, depending on group needs.
- GST-free for secondary schools
- $30 per student
- Teachers are free
A minimum of 15 students required and a maximum of 30 per day.