Achieve unique learning outcomes in animal husbandry through our hands-on approach!
This program consists of two core and two elective units.
Program introduction (30 minutes)
- Learn about Myuna Farm and the variety of animals on site.
- Meet the animal husbandry team, discuss background and career progression.
- OHS and PPE relevant to key animal husbandry tasks.
Nutrition of farm mammals (1.5 hour)
- Discuss the various diets and digestive systems of farm mammals, including:
- explore feeding processes and supplements.
- Prepare and deliver animal feeds for the different types of farm animals discussed.
Incorporates sustainable work practices.
Paddocks – large mammal husbandry (45 minutes)
Animal focus: goats, alpacas or sheep
- Preparing and delivering environmental enrichment items
- Mustering and restraining
- Hoof trimming pending seasonal availability
- Health check
- Medical treatments depending on seasonal requirements
- Equipment examination and exploration of key livestock tools (OHS considerations also included)
Small mammal husbandry (45 minutes)
Animal focus: rabbits and guinea pigs
- General care
- Handling techniques
- Environmental enrichment
- Nail clipping
- Incorporates sustainable work practices.
Farm nursery – large mammal husbandry (45 minutes)
Animal focus: goats, lambs, kids, crias, calves (depending on seasonal availability)
- Examining lactation cycle
- Practicing goat milking
- Restraining techniques for nursery animals
- Health assessments of nursery animals (age/dentition, coat, sexing, weighing, heart rates and temperature).
- Sustainability features of the farm nursery identified and incorporated into activity.
The program generally runs from 10.00 am to 2.00 pm. Start and finish times can be flexible, depending on group needs.
- GST-free for secondary schools
- $30 per student
- Teachers are free
A minimum of 15 students required and a maximum of 30 per day.