We deliver the program as a 2 hour walking tour of the farm. We will cover the below topics during the discussion.
The farm from past to present
- A brief history of Myuna Farm.
- Industrial agriculture versus a more holistic, integrated approach to land management.
- Find out why Myuna Farm (and similar facilities) are a valuable resource to the community.
- The importance of education in driving behavioural change.
Environmentally friendly features
- Sustainable Building Design in the Animal Display Centre.
- Renewable energy at the farm.
- Recycling systems, including compost.
- Water harvest and water conservation.
Explore the wetlands
- Take a the tractor ride to the man-made wetlands along side Dandenong Creek.
- Discuss biodiversity and water quality, then learn how we can improve the health of a wetland ecosystem.
- View the Colony of Grey Headed Flying Foxes hanging around the wetlands
Locally grown food
- Community gardens and the environmental benefits of locally grown food.
- Organic gardening, companion planting and the importance of healthy soil.
- Soil and it’s role in the carbon cycle.
- The tour lasts for 2 hours.
- We can accommodate a maximum of 20 students per group.
Each program requires a minimum of 18 students. A minimum payment for 18 students is required, if less than 18 attend.
- GST free for schools only.
- $10.00 per student.
- Free (when ratio of adults to students is less than one-to-five)
- Additional adults: $11