Skip to main content

Support following a house fire

Immediate steps

After a house fire, the Fire Services or the Building Surveyor from City of Casey may advise you that your home is not safe to stay in. Fire services, police and ambulance may be called to assist in the first instance, but there are also steps you can take to keep you and your family safe and as comfortable as possible.

  1. Call Family or Friends. If you have a support network it is important to call them to notify them what has happened. Family and friends are best placed to support you and may be able to offer you a place to stay until you have found a more permanent place to live. 
  2. Your Health. An ambulance may have been called if anyone was immediately affected by the fire, however sometimes the shock of an emergency may mask symptoms or reactions caused after it wears off. If you are worried about yourself or a family member and you are in a life-threatening situation, you can call 000. Alternatively, you can call Nurse-on-Call on 1300 60 60 24 for immediate and 24 hour advice or call your local doctor to book an appointment. You can also access more information on trauma and available support services.
  3. Pets and Animal Welfare. If you have pets and animals on your property, you will need to make sure they have not been impacted by the fire and ensure they have somewhere to go if you can’t return to your home. Speak to friends and family to see if they can assist.  
  4. Water, Electricity, Gas and Sewerage. If your water, electricity or gas supply has been damaged or switched off during the fire, do not attempt to reconnect it yourself. Call the service providers to let them know what happened and organise a time for them to inspect the damage and reconnect it once appropriate to do so.
  5. Insurance and Important Documents. Once you and your family are safe, it is important to call your insurance company as soon as you can to notify them of what happened. They may be able to offer you temporary accommodation and can advise you on the next steps. If the Fire Services or Building Surveyor  has said it is safe to enter your home, you should take photos and notes about the damage caused to provide to your insurer. If you don’t have your important documents and items on you, this would also be the time to collect them. Important documents and items may include:  
    1.  Driver’s licence
    2. Passport
    3.  Credit cards / money
    4.  Medicare card / health care card / health insurance card
    5.  Medicines and prescriptions
    6. Mobile phone and charger
    7. Valuables (jewellery, photos etc)
    8. Car keys / house keys

If these items are not safe to collect or have been damaged, do not put yourself in danger in trying to retrieve them. 

Local supports

You may need some extra support after a house fire. These organisations provide a range of support for Casey residents, including:

  • emergency relief
  • information
  • financial help
  • counselling support
  • referrals
  • financial counselling.

Cranbourne Community Information and Support

Casey North Community Information and Support Service

  • (03) 9705 6699
  • Operating: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9.30 am - 4.30 pm, Wednesday noon till late

WAYSS Housing Support

Some people may experience homelessness or risk being homeless after a house fire. Housing service providers deliver support, including crisis accommodation and affordable housing.

Ask Izzy 

Connects people in need with housing, a meal, money help, family violence support, counselling and much more. It is free and anonymous, with thousands of local services listed across Australia.

More information

For more information about what to do after a house fire, visit

Have you found the information you were looking for?