Skip to main content

Let's register

Your name has been chosen and your brand is ready to go – we hope you and your associates are happy with it, and that it fits your ethos!

Let’s get a move on and lock it in.

Common Registrations

Protect your brand name

Make sure you protect your business name or idea, including trademarking: registering your business name does not give you full rights over the name.

Email is also important; whichever server you choose to use whether it’s Gmail, Outlook, or integrated with your website e.g. [email protected], you need to register all relevant aliases so others cannot take the email name and jeopardise your business’s integrity.

Renewing an expired business name?

You will need to apply to renew your business name with ASIC.

Do I need to register for Goods and Services Tax?

You must register for Goods and Services Tax (GST) if you're a business and:

  • your current/expected annual turnover is $75,000 or more (or $150,000 or more for a non-profit organisation) and/or
  • you provide taxi travel (regardless of turnover).

Registrations any business needs

You know what business structure applies to your business, now you can see what registrations you need to apply for:

Registrations for a food business

A food business in the City of Casey must be registered/notified with Council to ensure compliance with all food safety regulations under the Food Act 1984. It is an offence to operate a food business without being registered/notified.

Types of food premises:

There a two general types of food premises:

  • Fixed – trade from one fixed, permanent location.
  • Temporary/mobile – trade from a mobile food vehicle e.g. a coffee van or temporary premises e.g. market stall. See our Roadside Trading section for permits and registrations relevant to the City of Casey.

The registration/notification process differs depending on whether you have a fixed or temporary/mobile food business.

Classification of food premises

Regardless as to whether you want to operate a fixed or temporary/mobile food business, your business will be categorised as either Class 1, 2, 3 or 4 depending on the types of food processes undertaken.

An Environmental Health Officer (EHO) will ask you questions about your business processes and determine which class your business falls within.

Class 1 – premises that provide meals to vulnerable persons e.g. hospitals, child care centres and aged care services.

Class 2 – premises that handle high-risk unpackaged food such as restaurants and cafes.

Class 3 – premises that handle low risk food and/or pre-packaged high-risk food.

Class 4 – premises undertaking specific types of low risk food handling activities e.g. bottle shops, green grocers selling whole/uncut fruit and vegetables.

All class 1, 2, and 3 premises are required to be registered under the Food Act 1984. Registration is renewed on an annual basis.

Class 4 food businesses must provide a one-off notification under the Food Act 1984

Register for a health/beauty business

If you want to set up a health, beauty or accommodation business in the City of Casey, you are required to register the business with us in accordance with the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.

Businesses that must be registered with the City of Casey include:

  • Hairdressers
  • Beauty Therapy
  • Tattooing
  • Skin penetration
  • Colonic irrigation
  • Accommodation businesses e.g. motels, hotels, rooming houses

Registering a health/beauty/accommodation business:

A Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 Certificate of Registration will be issued, allowing you to trade, once the following has occurred:

  • Premises has been deemed compliant with the requirements of the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 at the final inspection by an Environmental Health Officer.
  • Submit a completed application form to register your business.
  • Payment of the applicable registration and establishment fee.

Before you apply to register your health/beauty/accommodation business, you will need to find out what other permits or exemptions may be required, which you can find in Permits below.

Registrations for a Personal Training business:

New application steps:

  1. Call the City of Casey's Sports and Leisure team (03) 9705 5200 to see if the reserve they have indicated is available.
  2. City of Casey's Sports and Leisure team will discuss options and provide the person with the Recreation Reserve Personal Training Application Form
  3. Public Liability Insurance information must be lodged with completed application form.
  4. Sports and Leisure team will review the form and its details, and the suitability of the area,
    Casey's Sports and Leisure team will contact the applicant and advise of their success/non success
  5. Successful applicants will also be sent a letter, an invoice for the bond will be sent at this time.
  6. Unsuccessful applicants will have to apply again and need to include a new app form until a suitable venue is found

You can find more information on applying for a personal training permit via the Casey website.

Well done! Proceed to Permits