On this page:
- About the Safe Around Schools program
- Book a school visit
- Council's role in school parking
- Contact the Safe Around Schools team
About the Safe Around Schools program
The City of Casey is excited to support the Safe Around Schools program, having launched the initiative in Term 1, 2021.
The Safe Around Schools program services Casey's 79 schools and approximately 5,000 prep students with a school-based interactive education session run by the City of Casey's Safer Communities team.
The in-school sessions aim to provide teachers, parents and students with information that will help make their journey to and from school as safe as possible, while also helping to reduce congestion around school zones.
The Safe Around Schools program replaces the former Casey Safety Village which closed during COVID-19. The new school-based program is a partnership between the City of Casey, Transport and Accident Commission (TAC) and Casey schools.
Safe Around School sessions are tailored to each school and can include:
- Road safety and school crossing education sessions for students
- Parent information sessions
- Walk to School/Active Travel maps and information
- An opportunity to identify issues and find solutions.
Book a school visit
As part of the Safe Around Schools program, school communities will soon be able to request Council's dedicated team to bring the education program to their school.
The program teaches three key messages:
- All kids deserve to get to school safely.
- Getting kids to school safely is everyone’s job
- Think before you park, drive, drop off and pick up.
Each Safe Around School visit includes:
- Representation from our Safe Around Schools team
- Handout resources for students, teachers and parents
- Officers available to discuss local parking options or concerns directly with parents.
Council's role in school parking
Keeping children safe as they get to and from school is everyone’s responsibility.
To keep children safe around schools, Council is proactive on education and enforcement.
The Safe Around Schools program is an example of Council's commitment to help educate parents, teachers and students to improve community safety.
Council encourages all residents to make sure they understand how to park safely around schools in Casey.
For further educational videos and resources, please refer to the 'Resources' section at the bottom of this page.
Council's Authorised Officers monitor school parking areas and enforce parking zones and restrictions under Road Safety Road Rules legislation.
This enforcement helps create a safer environment for students, as well as parents and teachers.
Resources for parents and teachers
- Safe and unsafe places to cross the road - Road Safety Education Victoria
- Road safety hazards - Road Safety Education Victoria
- 'Stop, look, listen, think' to cross the road safely - Road Safety Education Victoria
- Teaching resources portal - Road Safety Education Victoria
- Cycling and walking to school - VicRoads
- Drivers and sharing the road - VicRoads
- Road safety education - VicRoads
- Road safety in schools - Transport Accident Commission