We consider a vehicle to be abandoned if it:
- is unregistered
- is registered but has not been moved in more than 2 months
- if it is deemed to be not roadworthy by Victoria Police or VicRoads
Check if the vehicle is registered
You can check if a vehicle is registered on the VicRoads website. This will show if the vehicle is unregistered or stolen.
Reports we cannot investigate
If you notice an abandoned vehicle in any of the following locations, you must report it to the relevant authorities:
- On roads managed by VicRoads. Please report it to VicRoads.
- On private property, including shopping centre car parks. Please report it to the property owner.
- Dumped in water. Please report it to the Department of Environment, Water and Planning.
- Seems stolen. Please report it to Victoria Police.
How to report
To report an abandoned vehicle, please contact us with the following details:
- vehicle registration number (if known)
- street and street number if possible
- type of vehicle (for example, sedan, ute or wagon)
- description of the vehicle (colour, make and model)
- any photographs
What happens next
- If the vehicle is a danger to other road users, it will be removed within 24 hours.
- Non-dangerous reports will be investigated within 10 working days.
- If the vehicle is abandoned, an officer will place a derelict or abandoned vehicle sticker on the car. This instructs the owner to move the vehicle within a set period of time (usually 7 working days).
- If the vehicle is not moved, it will be impounded.
Releasing an impounded vehicle
If your vehicle has been impounded, we can release it after you have:
- provided proof of ownership
- paid the required fee
To release an impounded vehicle, you must pay:
- $375 to release the vehicle
- $10 for each day the vehicle is stored
How to release a vehicle
Visit a customer service centre with the required documents and fees to release your impounded vehicle.
If you do not claim your vehicle within 14 days of it being impounded, we will either sell, destroy or donate the vehicle. This includes anything in, on, or attached to the vehicle.