Risk of premises
Depending on what kind of services your health and beauty business will offer, it may be classified as a high or medium risk premise.
High-risk premises offer services such as:
- piercings (e.g. ear, body or other skin penetration procedures
- permanent or semi-permanent makeup (cosmetic tattooing)
- any other forms of skin penetration
Medium risk premises
Medium risk premises do not offer any skin penetration service. They offer services such as:
- manicures, pedicures, other nail treatments
- facial or body treatments
- foot spa treatments
- hair removal by electrolysis or wax
- colonic irrigation
Hairdressers and/or temporary makeup artist only
If your business only offers hairdressing and/or temporary makeup services, you are eligible to apply for an ongoing registration. If you provide additional services (such as piercing), you will be classified as either a high or medium risk premises.
New registration fees
|Health and Beauty classification||Cost|
|Hairdresser and/or makeup service||$380|
Renew an existing registration
|Risk of premises||Cost|
|Hairdresser and/or makeup service||Not required|
Transfer an existing registration
It costs $300 to transfer an existing health and beauty registration.
Hairdressers and/or make up artists
If you register as a hairdressing and/or makeup service business only, your registration cannot be transferred. This ongoing registration is only valid if:
- you remain the proprietor of the business
- the business remains at the same address
Discount registration period
If you apply to register a health and beauty business between 1 July and 31 December, you will receive a 50% discount on your registration fees. Your registration will still be valid for the full calendar year.