To submit an application to register a new accommodation business, you:
- need to make contact with all relevant Council departments (i.e. Town Planning, Building) to determine if you are required to obtain additional permits. For example, in the case of a Rooming House, the class of the dwelling is required to be changed from a Class 1A to a Class 1B in accordance with the Building Regulations and Building Code of Australia.
- must have had your plans approved by Council
- had your business inspected and approved by Council
- understand the relevant fees that apply to your registration
How to apply
To apply to register your new accommodation business, please complete the Registration of Prescribed Accommodation Application form.
Submit the form and payment:
- Due to customer service centre closures, you must submit the completed application by email to email@example.com.
- If you cannot submit by email, you can post your application.
What happens next
- An Environmental Health Officer will be allocated your application for assessment and will assess your plans against the requirements of the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.
- If the plans are satisfactory we will send you a satisfactory assessment of plans letter to advise that the plans have been assessed and are compliant. If they are not satisfactory, we will advise the reason why and propose the required changes.
- Once fit-out has been completed of your premises, contact should be made to the Environmental Health Team to organise a final inspection. Should this be satisfactory we will issue a certificate of registration under the Public health and Wellbeing Act 2008.
- If you plan on operating a rooming house, you must apply for a licence from Consumer Affairs Victoria (if you haven't already done so).
- We will conduct yearly inspections of your accommodation premises.