Businesses that need a permit
If you own or operate one of the following businesses, you must register and apply for a domestic animal business permit:
- an animal shelter, Council pound or pet shop
- a for profit organisation that breeds cats or dogs
- a for profit organisation that rears, trains or boards cats or dogs
- a cat or dog breeding business.
Agriculture Victoria has more information about domestic animal businesses.
Apply for a domestic animal business permit through our online form:
Domestic Animal Business Permit
- New business registration: $790 (you will receive a 50% refund in the permit is not granted)
- Renewal: $400
We will inspect your premises if you are applying for a new permit. We may also conduct future inspections at our discretion.
Apply for a permit
- Complete a Domestic Animal Business Registration Application Form.
- If you wish to pay with a credit card, please complete a Credit Card Authorisation Form.
Submit your application
Submit your application form and payment:
Renew your permit
- All permits are valid for 12 months. Ongoing customers are issued with a permit renewal notice and invoiced approximately 30 days prior to the expiration of their existing permit.