Skip to main content

Register a domestic animal business

Businesses that need a permit

If you own or operate one of the following businesses, you must register and apply for a domestic animal business permit:

  • an animal shelter, Council pound or pet shop
  • a for profit organisation that breeds cats or dogs
  • a for profit organisation that rears, trains or boards cats or dogs
  • a cat or dog breeding business.

Agriculture Victoria has more information about domestic animal businesses.


  • New business registration: $750 (you will receive a 50% refund in the permit is not granted)
  • Renewal: $380


We will inspect your premises if you are applying for a new permit. We may also conduct future inspections at our discretion.

Apply for a permit

You can submit your form:

Due to coronavirus restrictions, Bunjil Place is only open from 1 July, Monday to Friday from 10 am - 4 pm. Visitors to Bunjil Place will notice many safety measures in place

Renew your permit

Permits are renewed annually and you will be sent a renewal notice prior to the renewal date.