Skip to main content

Preparing for an emergency for people with a disability

Person-Centred Emergency Preparedness (P-CEP) toolkit

When it comes to preparing for an emergency, nobody understands your individual needs and requirements better than yourself and your careers.

With the right tools and support, people who require additional support can assess their own risk and then tailor their emergency preparedness to create an emergency plan to suit their needs and requirements / personal circumstances.

The City of Casey recommends the Person-Centred Emergency Preparedness (P-CEP) toolkit created by Collaborating 4 Inclusion. The toolkit guides its readers through conversation and thought-provoking topics to better prepare you for emergencies. 

When thinking about their individual functional capabilities and support needs, the P-CEP framework encourages readers to consider: 

  • what they do
  • where they do it
  • who they do it with
  • their roles and responsibilities in everyday life – because emergencies can happen anywhere and at any time. 

We highly recommend you visit the Collaboration 4 Inclusion website for the complete workbook and the full list of suggested questions to consider. 


Sharing your emergency plan

Preparedness is a process, not a one-off event therefor you will need to review your plan regularly and update it when any circumstances change, ie; Your assisted technology requirements have changed, your service animal has new requirements, your emergency contact details have changed etc.  

After creating / updating your emergency plan, it is highly recommended that you share your plan with the people in your support network (Family, friends, Careers, Colleagues etc) and where possible run through the steps of your emergency plan on a regular basis to assess if any improvements can be made.

Emergency Planning Advice Service (EPAS)  

The Country Fire Authority (CFA) are delivering a free in-home visit service to Casey residents in collaboration with the City of Casey.  

Emergency Planning Advice Service (EPAS) is designed for people who need everyday support to remain in their homes. This includes people who are older, and/or people living with a disability or chronic medical condition. 

The EPAS program has been informed by the Person-Centred Emergency Preparedness (P-CEP) Framework. It is a free service that assists you to develop an emergency plan specific to your individual needs. 

Find out more

Free smoke alarm installation

The CFA may be able to assist with the installation of free smoke alarms powered with a 10 year lithium battery in the homes of people who cannot purchase, install or maintain their alarms themselves.  

Find out more

For people who are deaf or heard of hearing

Emergency information

The Deaf Emergency Information website provides information in Auslan and in written English. If you are deaf, deafblind or hard of hearing, this website will help you to:

  • Understand the different natural hazards experienced by Victorians every year
  • Learn from the experiences of other people in the community
  • Understand how to watch and act so you can take responsibility for your own safety
  • Learn how to prepare, respond and recover from natural hazard events in your area
  • Understand how emergency services work together.

Specialist smoke alarms   

There are smoke alarms for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. These smoke alarms alert people in different ways.

Some have vibrating pads, strobe lights, or emit different sounds. Each alarm should have at least two sensory alert types.

People who are deaf or hard of hearing should have these smoke alarms in their home. 

The Victorian smoke alarm subsidy scheme is Government funded and provides these specialised smoke alarms to deaf and hard of hearing people living in Victoria. For more information and to apply for the subsidy go to: Smoke Alarm Subsidy | Expression Australia.

Have you found the information you were looking for?