To help raise awareness of the requirements for pit and pipe installations, particularly amongst smaller developers and owner-builders.
If you are a developer or owner-builder, there are important Commonwealth telecommunications rules you need to comply with:
- You are responsible for providing telecommunications infrastructure in your developments.
- Providing modern telecommunications in your developments may help make them more attractive to potential buyers. Most buyers will expect modern broadband and phone access.
- You can choose any carrier you want to service your development.
- If you don't wish to choose another carrier, NBN Co is the default statutory infrastructure provider (SIP) for Australia.
- Carriers, including NBN Co, can charge for providing infrastructure in new developments.
- Under Commonwealth law, developers are generally required to provide fibre-ready pit and pipe in their developments at their expense.
For more information visit www.communications.gov.au/tind