The purpose of this policy is to provide a consistent set of guidelines for Council in relation to the duties of the Deputy Mayor.
means Casey City Council, being a body corporate constituted as a municipal Council under the Local Government Act 1989
means the individuals holding the office of a member of Casey City Council
means the Chief Executive Officer and staff of Council appointed by the Chief Executive Officer.
A Councillor elected to act as Deputy Mayor throughout the same term of office as held by the Mayor.
This policy applies to the role of the Deputy Mayor.
To support good governance at Casey, Council chooses to appoint a Deputy Mayor position.
This policy is to be read in conjunction with Section 73 of the Local Government Act 1989 and Council’s Communication and Consultation Policy.
5.1 Number of Deputy Mayors
In any given year Council may elect up to two Councillors as Deputy Mayor to perform the roles and functions included in this policy.
5.2 Duties and Functions
The position of Deputy Mayor supports the Mayoral role and where the immediate past Mayor is a sitting Councillor, that Councillor may nominate to be Deputy Mayor for the same term of office as held by the Mayor.
Where the Mayor will knowingly be unable to fulfil their duties as Mayor, he/she is responsible for appointing one of the Deputy Mayors as appropriate and as applicable.
Council adopts as policy the following statement on the role of the Deputy Mayor/s:
- Act as provided in the Local Government Act 1989, i.e. Chairing Council meetings in the Mayor’s absence, noting that a vote must be taken to elect a temporary Chairperson.
- Attend social and other engagements at the request of the Mayor.
- Act as Council’s official spokesperson in the Mayor’s absence
- Lead Council deputations when requested by the Mayor.
- Chair public meetings when requested by the Mayor.
- Preside at Citizenship Ceremonies in the Mayor’s absence, in accordance with Section 27 of the Australian Citizenship Act (2007).
- Assist the Mayor generally in the carrying out of his/her duties as requested by the Mayor from time to time
- In consultation with the Mayor of the Day, the Deputy Mayors may be assigned portfolio responsibilities from the endorsed council plan, that would be their focus for that Mayoral year.
It is recognised that, from time to time, circumstances may change leading to the need for minor administrative changes to this document. Where an update does not materially alter this document, such a change may be made administratively. Examples include a change to the name of a Council department, a change to the name of a Federal or State Government department, and a minor update to legislation which does not have a material impact. However, any change or update which materially alters this document must be by resolution of Council.
The next review of this document is scheduled for completion by 1 February 2022.
Council policy documents change from time to time and it is recommended that you consult the electronic reference copy at www.casey.vic.gov.au/policiesstrategies to ensure that you have the current version. Alternatively you may contact Customer Service on 9705 5200.