Amendment C224 to the City of Casey was approved on 25 July 2019.
Fountain Gate – Narre Warren CBD is at the very heart of the City of Casey and the broader sub-region it services. Long established as a major retail destination and civic centre; it is now transitioning into the next exciting growth phase. Over the next twenty years, with a strong focus on economic investment, job creation and residential growth, the CBD will mature into a truly diverse centre to serve the rapidly growing South East Growth Corridor.
Plan Melbourne identifies the Fountain Gate – Narre Warren CBD as one of 9 existing Metropolitan Activity Centres within Melbourne, recognising the importance of the Centre to South East Melbourne. The Fountain Gate – Narre Warren CBD Structure Plan 2018 was prepared to recognise this and to better facilitate high quality development in the Centre.
Where the amendment applies
The proposed amendment applies to the land in the Fountain Gate Narre Warren CBD and the adjoining residential precinct.
The amendment area of approximately 150 hectares is generally bounded by the Monash Freeway to the North and East, Princes Highway and Pakenham Railway Line to the south and Max Pawsey Reserve to the West and includes the Meadow Wood Walk residential precinct.
Changes to Casey Planning Scheme
The amendment implements the Fountain Gate – Narre Warren CBD Structure Plan 2018 by rezoning the Narre Warren – Fountain Gate CBD from Priority Development Zone, Commercial 1 Zone, Commercial 2 Zone, General Residential Zone 1 and Public Use Zone 6 to Activity Centre Zone Schedule 2.
The amendment simplifies the planning controls in the area by removing the redundant Fountain Gate – Narre Warren CBD Incorporated Plan, Priority Development Zone and Incorporated Plan Overlay Schedule 1 from the Planning Scheme and replacing it with the Fountain Gate – Narre Warren CBD Structure Plan 2018 and the Activity Centre Zone Schedule 1.
The amendment also updates the Heritage Overlay mapping and incorporate the Brechin Gardens Incorporated Plan April 2019 into the Planning Scheme.
Specifically, the amendment made the following changes to the Casey Planning Scheme:
- Rezoned the area to Activity Centre Zone Schedule 2 (Clause 37.08s2) titled “Fountain Gate-Narre Warren CBD” which includes five distinct precincts and implemented the Fountain Gate - Narre Warren CBD Structure Plan 2018 as a reference document.
- Removed the Priority Development Zone (Clause 37.06s1)
- Removed the Incorporated Plan Overlay (43.03s1) and the “Fountain Gate-Narre Warren CBD Incorporated Plan 2013” as a reference document.
- Amended the Schedule to Clause 43.01 to update the entry under HO26, HO116, HO156 and HO196 and updated mapping and the incorporated plan with the “Brechin Gardens Incorporate Plan April 2019”.
The amendment also seeks to make the following changes to:
- Amended Clause 21.01, 21.02, 21.03, 21.05, 21.24 and 21.25 of the Municipal Strategic Statement to update directions relating to the Fountain Gate-Narre Warren CBD Metropolitan Activity Centre.
- Amended Clause 22.01 - Retail Policy and Clause 22.04 – Advertising Signs Policy to update directions relating to the Fountain Gate-Narre Warren CBD Metropolitan Activity Centre.
- In Overlays – Clause 43.04, replaced Schedule 15 with a new Schedule 15 to update references to the Fountain Gate Narre Warren Structure Plan 2018.
- In Overlays – Clause 45.06, replaced Schedule 20 and 21 with a new Schedule 20 and 21 to update zoning references.
- Replaced the Schedule to Clause 61.03 with a new Schedule.
- Amended the Schedule to Clause 81 updating the incorporated plan with the “Brechin Gardens Incorporated Plan April 2019” and removed the “Fountain Gate Narre Warren CBD Incorporated Plan (May 2013).
The Minister for Planning has approved Planning Scheme Amendment Casey C224 to the Casey Planning Scheme. The Amendment came into operation when it was published in the Government Gazette on 25 July 2019. The approved planning scheme amendment documents can be viewed on the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website.