Where the amendment applies
The amendment applies to approximately 133 hectares of land known as 635 Hall Road, part of 620 Western Port Highway and 690 Western Port Highway, Cranbourne West within the Cranbourne West Precinct Structure Plan.
The amendment area is bounded to the west by Western Port Highway, to the south by Hall Road, to the north by Central Parkway, and to the east by the Quarters and Lochaven residential communities.
Proposed changes to the Casey Planning Scheme
The amendment proposes to facilitate the future use and development of the affected land for residential purposes, by amending the applied zoning of the land from Commercial 2 Zone to the General Residential Zone. It also applies a 5.9% public open space contribution to the land and makes consequential changes to the Cranbourne West Precinct Structure Plan and various clauses in the Casey Planning Scheme.
More specifically, Amendment C219 proposes to:
- Amend Schedule 1 Clause 37-07 – Urban Growth Zone 07 by:
- Amending “Map 1 to Schedule 1 of Clause 37.07: Cranbourne West Future Urban Structure” by redesignating the Amendment Area from “Industrial” and “Employment Interface” to Residential, with associated Open Space and an Integrated Family Community Centre and a local convenience centre.
- Amending “Map 1 to Schedule 1 of Clause 37.07: Cranbourne West Future Urban Structure” by revising the area required for the “Future Grade Separated Freeway Upgrades and Interchanges” to reflect recent changes to the Public Acquisition Overlay resulting from the gazettal of Amendment C199 to the Casey Planning Scheme.
- Amending Table 1 – Applied Zone Provisions at Clause 2.2 by deleting the reference to “Employment Interface” and correcting the reference to General Residential Zone 1.
- Inserting a mandatory condition at Clause 4.0 requiring the landowners of 635 Hall Road, 620 Western Port Highway and 690 Western Port Highway, Cranbourne West, to enter into a Section 173 Agreement providing for the timing and delivery of community and open space infrastructure required as a result of Amendment C219.
- Inserting a new application requirement at Clause 3.3 requiring future planning permit applications for 635 Hall Road, 690 Western Port Highway and 620 Western Port Highway, Cranbourne West, to specify how medium and higher density housing will be achieved.
- Amend Plan 1.2 of the Schedule to Clause 53.01 to include the Amendment Area in a “CR9” area requiring a 5.9% public open space contribution.
- Amend Clause 21.02 by replacing the “Strategic Framework Plan” with a new plan that redesignates the Amendment Area from “Key Employment Precincts - Future” to “Urban Areas – Future”.
- Amend Clause 21.18-3 to change the description and extent of employment land in Cranbourne West, and delete reference to the north-south collector road between Hall Road and Thompsons Road.
- Amend Clause 21.18-5 by replacing the “Cranbourne West Local Area Map” with a new map that redesignates the Amendment Area from “Future Industry” to “Residential (Existing / Future)”
- Amend Clause 22.03-6 to update the reference to the Cranbourne West Precinct Structure Plan (April 2018)
- Amend the Schedule to Clause 81.01 to update the reference to the Cranbourne West Precinct Structure Plan (April 2018)
- Update and replace the incorporated document Cranbourne West Precinct Structure Plan (May 2012) with the Cranbourne West Precinct Structure Plan (April 2018).
Current Status of Amendment C219
- An Independent Planning Panel considered submissions to Amendment C219 on 8 November 2017 to 15 November 2017 at Bunjil Place (Patrick Northeast Drive, Narre Warren). The Planning Panel recommended that Amendment C219 be adopted with changes.
Panel Report – Casey Planning Scheme Amendment C219
The Panel Report can also be viewed on the Australasian Legal Information Institute (AustLII) website.
- Council adopted Amendment C219 at its meeting of 15 May 2018. The amendment was submitted to the Minister for Planning on 24 May 2018.
- On 16 October 2018 the Minister for Planning wrote to the Mayor to advise that he has decided to defer making a decision to approve the amendment pending the preparation of an industrial and commercial land supply study for the Southern Region. The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning is currently preparing this study.
The amendment is available for public inspection, during office hours at the following places:
- City of Casey Council
Municipal Offices, Bunjil Place, 2 Patrick Northeast Drive Narre Warren, VIC 3805
- City of Casey Council (Cranbourne)
Customer Service Centre, Cranbourne Park Shopping Centre (Opposite Post Office)
The amendment can also be inspected at the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website.
Amendment documentation is also available at the following links:
If you would like to find out more about this Amendment, please contact Council’s Growth Area Strategic Planning Team on 9705 5200.