In November 2021, the Municipal Association of Victoria Board released a Discussion Paper announcing a review of its Rules of Association.
Some of the key aspects focussed on in the Discussion paper seek to ensure that MAV rules are:
- Modern, clear and widely understood
- Address oversights and unintended consequences
- Better enable the MAV to fulfil its role and function
- Respond to principles or a framework that supports the MAV
- Provide sound arrangements to elect and support the Board
- Provide sound arrangements to elect and support the President
- Enable the State Council to be an effective forum for creating Local Government policy.
The review is being conducted in three phases: Discussion Paper, Directions Paper and Decision Making, with the outcome to be determined at the MAV State Council meeting in September 2022.
The City of Casey has lodged a submission responding to the proposed changes, which can be viewed on Council’s website.