National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) | City of Casey
Skip to main content

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)

What is the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)?

The NDIS is a new way of delivering services and support to people with a permanent disability in Australia. By July 2019, it is estimated that 105,000 Victorians will have transitioned to the scheme. This includes 76,000 people from the existing Victorian specialist disability and mainstream systems.

The National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) is the independent agency responsible for implementing the NDIS. The NDIS progressively began the three year roll out in Victoria from 1 July 2016.

Under the NDIS, people with a disability, their families and carers will have control over how, when and where their funding is spent. The NDIS will work with participants to make sure they have supports in place to meet their goals.

When does the NDIS roll out in the City of Casey?

The NDIS will be available to the City of Casey residents from 1 September 2018.

Will Council become an NDIS service provider?

Council decided in September 2017 not to register as an NDIS service provider. Reasons include:

  • Lack of ability for Council to subsidise the cost.
  • Difficulty for Council to provide services in a competitive market driven environment.
  • Difficulty complying with National Competition and Competitive Neutrality legislation.
  • Availability of providers in the local marketplace.

What does this mean?

  • People that receive an NDIS approved plan can only access services through an NDIS approved service provider, and therefore will not be able to access services through the City of Casey’s Community Care Program.
  • Similarly, people that self-manage their NDIS package will not be able to purchase services through the City of Casey’s Community Care Program.
  • For people currently receiving Community Care services, please refer to the information provided below.

What happens next?

  • People with a disability are encouraged to contact the NDIS to find out if they are eligible.

How do I test my eligibility?

To be eligible you must:

  • Live in an area where the NDIS is available
  • Meet the age and citizenship requirements
  • Meet either the disability or early intervention requirements
  • If you are still unsure, you can contact the NDIS

To check NDIS eligibility, visit the Access Checklist on the NDIS website.

Existing Community Care clients

What happens if I am eligible for NDIS and currently receive council services?

  • People that have an NDIS approved plan will be assisted by the Community Care NDIS Transition Officer to transition to your new registered NDIS service provider.  This process may take time and you will be supported throughout the process to ensure a smooth transition.
  • Once you have your NDIS plan approved, please phone to advise Community Care on 9705-5444 so that the Transition Officer can support you.
  • You can continue to access the same level of services that you were receiving prior to obtaining your NDIS approved plan whilst transitioning to your new service provider.

What happens if I am not eligible for NDIS?

  • Council will continue to provide high quality services for residents aged under 65 years who have a disability and are not eligible for the NDIS.

If you are not receiving Community Care services:

What happens if I am eligible for the NDIS and not receiving council service?

  • You will be supported by the NDIS to develop a plan and find services in your local area.
  • You can also receive support and guidance from the Local Area Coordinator.  Please see “Where can I go to get support” section below for further information.

What happens if I am not eligible for the NDIS and not currently receiving council services?

  • If you are not eligible for NDIS and need support, please contact the City of Casey Community Care team on 9705 5444 for an assessment.

How do I find NDIS service providers?

Lists of registered NDIS service providers sorted by state, service group or name are listed on the NDIS website.

How do I find out information on behalf of my relatives who are registering for the NDIS?

Your relative will need to give permission for the NDIS to enquire on their behalf.

Where can I go to get support?

For more information:

  • Call the NDIS on 1800 800 110 or visit the NDIS website
  • Attend an NDIS information session – find an upcoming session
  • Subscribe to the NDIS e-newsletter for the latest news and information about the scheme.
  • You can also get support from the Local Area Coordinator (LAC). LACs work in partnership with the NDIA to implement the scheme in your area. The City of Casey’s LAC is La Trobe Community Health Service (visit the La Trobe Community Health Service website or phone 1800 242 696). They can help you understand and access the NDIS, assist to create and implement a plan, review your plan and help you learn about the supports available to you in your community.
  • Community Care clients can call the City of Casey NDIS Transition Officer at any stage to discuss your services on 9705 5444