The MetroAccess program provides many benefits to the community:
- Bringing together individuals, communities and government to enhance opportunities for people with a disability.
- Supporting the building of welcoming, accessible and inclusive communities.
- Ensuring that disability is not a barrier to participation in community life.
- Building long term sustainable change in local communities.
The MetroAccess program is funded by the Department of Health and Human Services, along with its rural counterparts, RuralAccess and DeafAccess. Together these make up Disability Services’ Building Inclusive Communities program.
Building Inclusive Communities program
The Building Inclusive Communities program assists the community to better include people with a disability, their families and carers by:
- improving community awareness about the needs and aspirations of people with a disability
- ensuring that the needs of people with a disability are incorporated into community planning
- bringing the community and government together to respond to community needs/priorities
- providing easy to access information about local services, programs and opportunities
Extra help and resources
Find some extra resources to help enhance opportunities for people with disabilities:
- City of Casey Disability Directory - a guide to programs and services for people with disabilities.
- Inclusive Communication Guide - advice on communicating inclusively to and about people with disabilities.
- Missed Bu$iness - how to attract more customers by providing better access to your business.
- Apply for a Carer Card to give give recognition, understanding and support for Australian carers.
- Apply for a Companion Card, which entitles companions of people with disabilities to fair ticketing at events and venues.
- State Disability Plan - The Victorian Government's plan for achieving greater inclusion, in partnership with the community.
Find out more
To find out more about the MetroAccess program, please contact the MetroAccess Disability Inclusion Officer on 9705 5444, e-mail email@example.com, or visit the Department of Health and Human Services website.