Skip to main content
See Council's latest advice on COVID-19.

Looking after your dog


You must ensure your dog is wearing its registration tag at all times. Wearing a registration tag means we can identify your pet if it's lost. If your dog is found without a registration tag, you may receive a fine.

It's also a good idea to put your name and phone number on your dog’s collar. This can help us get your dog back to you quickly and easily.

Order replacement tags

If your dog has lost or damaged its registration tags, you can order a replacement online.

Leashing your dog

You need to keep your dog on a leash:

  • in all public places (including footpaths, schools, shopping centres, car parks, tracks and conservation bush land)
  • in any location where a sign says that dogs must be on their leash
  • an active reserve where an organised sporting event is happening
  • within 20m of children's playgrounds and play equipment
  • at any organised public meeting
  • at any permanent bbq or picnic area

Dogs off leash

You can walk your dog without a leash in most parks and reserves in Casey.

To walk your dog off-leash you must:

  • carry a chain, cord or leash sufficient to restrain your dog
  • remain close enough to your dog to give it effective voice or hand controls
  • not allow the dog to chase another person or animal

It's your responsibility to make sure your dog behaves both on or off its leash. If your dog rushes at, chases, bites or attacks a person or another animal, you may receive a fine or face court action.

Dog litter

Please make sure you pick up and correctly dispose of any dog litter. You should always carry a plastic bag or pooper scooper whenever you’re out with your dog.

We do not have litter bags in our parks and reserves. You can purchase waste bags from your local supermarket.

If you don't clean up after your dog you may receive a fine or face court action.

Make a complaint

Please contact us to make a complaint about dog litter. You may need to provide proof for us to investigate your complaint.

Dogs at home

If your dog is at home, you need to make sure it is secure and unable to get out of your property. You can do this by fencing your property and maintaining any fences and gates.

If you live on a large property and can't fence all of it, consider fencing off a section or building a kennel and run.

It can be very dangerous for both your dog and the community if your dog escapes your property. You may receive a fine if your dog is found wandering and it may be sent to the pound.

Barking dogs

Dogs bark for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it can’t be avoided, but owners do need to make sure the barking isn't a nuisance to their neighbours.

Agriculture Victoria has some steps you can take to stop or reduce your dog’s barking.

Find out what you can do if you are having problems with a neighbour's barking dog.


In case of an emergency, you can contact a Local Laws officer 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you’ve lost your dog or found a wandering dog, please see lost pets.

Agriculture Victoria has more information about preparing for and dealing with a pet emergency.

More information

Agriculture Victoria has more information about how you can best care for your dog.