Skip to main content
See Council's latest advice on COVID-19.

Keep extra animals or livestock

Maximum number of animals

The maximum number of animals you are permitted will depend on:

  • the kind of animals you wish to keep
  • the size of your land

Find out how many animals are permitted for different property sizes.

Cats and dogs

You must also register your pet cat or dog in addition to applying for this permit.


Livestock is any animal, other than a cat or dog, used for primary production or kept for recreational purposes (Impounding of Livestock Act 1994).

You must provide a site plan

You must provide a site plan that shows where the animals will live (dwellings, kennels, catteries etc). Please include all relevant measurements. The application form has a template which you can use to create your site plan.


We may arrange an inspection of your property before we can approve your permit.

We may also inspect your property and the animal dwelling at our discretion. This is usually done if we have received complaints or new neighbours have moved in near your property.


There is a non-refundable application fee of $127.50.

How to apply

Please complete an excess animals and livestock permit application form.

If you wish to pay by credit card, please complete a credit card authorisation form.

Due to customer service centre closures, you must submit the completed application by email to

If you cannot submit by email, you can post your application.

Submit your application

Submit your application form and payment:

What happens next?

  • We will consider your application and may be in contact if we need further information.
  • We may need to get feedback from your neighbours if they may be affected by your application. We will allow your neighbours 14 days to respond.
  • In most cases, a Council Officer will contact you to arrange a visit to the property and determine whether your application will be approved.
  • If approved, your permit will be sent to you in the mail. If not approved, we will contact you. Please allow 1 month.


Excess animals

Your permit will be renewed automatically each year. You are not required to pay a renewal fee. If you have a cat or dog, you must renew its registration each year.


If you have livestock, you must renew your permit each year. To renew your permit, please complete and submit an excess animal and livestock application form.

You do not have to pay the application fee to renew your permit.