Immunisation for children | City of Casey
Skip to main content

Immunisation for children

Your Maternal and Child Health (MCH) Nurse will discuss immunisations with you at your home visit.

Importance of immunisations

Immunisations are important because they:

  • help protect your child (and other children) from serious diseases and infections
  • help stop the spread of highly infectious and sometimes fatal diseases

Some examples of diseases that your child will be immunised against include:

  • hepatitis B
  • diphtheria
  • tetanus
  • whooping cough
  • polio
  • measles
  • mumps
  • rubella
  • chick pox

When to immunise your child

The Better Health Channel website has information on the timings as part of the National Immunisation Schedule.

Immunisation sessions run by Council

Immunisations given by Council are free. Our registered nurses are fully qualified and follow the National Immunisation Schedule.


Before the session

If your child is unwell before the immunisation session, consult your doctor first. They will be able to help you decide if they should attend the session.

You will also need to check where your child is up to in their immunisation schedule. You can do this by:

If you choose to have an immunisation done at your GP, please remind them to update your immunisation records. This will ensure your record is up to date and other services will know where your child is up to on the schedule.

Coming from overseas

If you have recently arrived from overseas and your child meets the eligibility criteria for free vaccines, your child may need to obtain catch-up vaccinations to ensure that they are fully immunised under the National Immunisation Schedule.

Before attending a Council immunisation session, you are requested to contact our immunisation service staff on 9705 5200 to go through your child's immunisation records.

What to bring to a session

  • Your Child Health Record Book (the 'green book'). This will help us access your child’s details.
  • Your Medicare Card (for the first visit only).
  • Something to comfort your child, such as their favourite toy.

After the session

Your child must wait 15 minutes after the session to make sure they do not have any unexpected reactions to the vaccine(s).

We will forward your child’s immunisation records to the Australian Immunisation Register. This will allow you to receive:

  • an immunisation history statement so your child can go to school
  • any family allowances relating to immunisation

Giving consent

As the parent or guardian of a child under 18 years of age, you must provide legal consent before your child can be immunised. You may receive a consent card to complete from your MCH nurse. If not, we will provide consent cards for you to complete when you attend one of our immunisation sessions.

If your child is in secondary school, they will receive a consent form at school. You will need to read the information, complete the form and return it to the school.

The Better Health Channel has more information on secondary school immunisations.

Attend an immunisation session at Council

We regularly run sessions at several locations across Casey. You do not need to make a booking.

See the locations and dates for immunisation sessions.

You can find more information on babies and children at Casey's Baby Steps website.