Businesses that need a permit
If you own or operate one of the following businesses, you must register and apply for a domestic animal business permit:
- an animal shelter, Council pound or pet shop
- a for profit organisation that breeds cats or dogs
- a for profit organisation that rears, trains or boards cats or dogs
- a cat or dog breeding business
Agriculture Victoria has more information about domestic animal businesses.
- New business registration: $680 (you will receive a 50% refund if the permit is not granted)
- Renewal: $340
Apply for a permit
Complete and submit a Domestic Animal Business Registration Application form (449kb).
If you wish to pay with a credit card, please complete and submit the Credit Card Authorisation Form (249kb) with your application form.
We will inspect your premises if you are applying for a new permit. We may also conduct future inspections at our discretion. During an inspection, we will check for a variety of things, including:
- Your premises: including areas animals are kept, reception areas and staff facilities
- The records you are keeping
- Your staff's training and safety resources
Renew your permit
You must renew your permit each year on the date of issue. To renew, please complete and submit the new registration form, with your payment.
Tell us what you think
If you have a minute, we'd love to hear how you found the information on this page. Please complete this very short survey to tell us what you think.