Problems with animals

Tell us what you think

When you've finished reading the information on this page, we'd love to hear your thoughts. Please complete this very short survey to give us your feedback.

Barking dogs

If you believe a dog in your neighbourhood is making too much noise, you should first talk to the pet's owner. We find that most issues can be resolved with a friendly chat.

Make a complaint

If talking to your neighbour doesn't solve the problem, you can make a complaint. To make a complaint:

  1. Contact us.
  2. We will send both you and the owner of the barking dog a booklet to monitor when the dog barks.
  3. Please monitor when the dog barks. You should also ask any other neighbours to monitor when they hear the dog bark excessively.
  4. If the dog's barking is still a problem after 2-3 weeks, return your booklet to us. We will investigate the matter further.

If your dog is barking too much

If you believe your dog is barking too much, or you have received a complaint, there are a few things you can do to help.

Dog attacks

If you or your pet has been attacked by a dog, you should report it to us or to the police. Try and remember as many details as possible about the incident and the dog involved. This information will help us conduct an investigation.

What is a dog attack?

A dog attack can mean:

  • a dog bites you or your pet causing harm
  • a dog chases or rushes at you or another person aggressively (snarling or growling)

If you or your pet has experienced any of the above, you can report the attack to us or to the police.

Preventing dog attacks

There are many steps you can take to ensure your dog does not attack any people or other animals. Dog attacks can happen both at home or in public.

Agriculture Victoria has some useful tips on how to prevent a dog attack at home and in public.

Report a dog attack

To report a dog attack, contact us or the police. We will commence an investigation of the reported dog attack within 24 hours.

Our investigation may consist of interviewing anyone involved, any witnesses and gathering any relevant evidence.

After all evidence has been gathered, a decision will be made on what action (if any) is appropriate.


If we believe an attack did occur, there are a range of penalties that could be applied:

  • infringement notices
  • animal management agreement
  • court action

Agriculture Victoria has some useful information about dog attacks and what you can do.

Nuisance cats

A cat can be considered a nuisance if:

  • it repeatedly leaves its owner's property
  • makes a lot of noise
  • litters in neighbouring gardens or children's sandpits

If you are having problems with your neighbour's cat, the first thing you should do is to talk to your neighbour. We find that most issues can be resolved with a friendly chat.

Make a complaint

If talking to your neighbour doesn't solve the problem, you can make a complaint. To make a complaint:

  1. Notify the owner of the cat in writing that the cat is a nuisance and should be kept away from your property. Include when the cat was in your property, what it is doing, a description of the cat and photos (if available). Please keep a copy of this letter for future reference.
  2. If the written notification doesn't help, you can notify us in writing about the problem. Please include a copy of the initial letter and photos of the cat.
  3. We will issue a Notice to Comply to the cat's owner. This will tell the owner what they need to do to make sure their cat is no longer a nuisance.
  4. If the cat continues to be a nuisance, we can take further action including fines and impounding the cat.

Cat cages

You can hire a cat cage if you are experiencing problems with cats. You may wish to trap a nuisance cat or a feral cat.

Hire a cage

We are temporarily unable to offer cat cages for hire. If you have an urgent problem with a nuisance cat, please contact us. 

If you trap a cat

If you trap a cat trespassing on your property, it is your responsibility to make sure you keep it safe. You should:

  • make sure you cover the cage with an old blanket or towel to settle the cat
  • keep the cage sheltered from the weather
  • safely deliver the cat to the appropriate place as soon as you can

If you harm the cat in any way, you could face significant penalties.

Where to take a trapped cat

If you trap a cat on a weekday, please contact us. We will collect the cat within 1 business day.

If you trap a cat on a weekend or public holiday, you should take it to:

Nuisance poultry

Nuisance poultry can cause neighbourhood problems such as noise and smells.

In the City of Casey, properties under 4,000 square metres may keep up to 6 chickens without a permit. The housing of roosters is not permitted without a permit.

These animals must be housed and kept in a secure and Council approved structure in accordance with the code of practice for poultry.

If you think poultry is being kept without a permit or are becoming a nuisance, please contact us.