Skip to main content

Get a film permit

Film permit applications now open for processing

This permit application applies to filming on Council owned and managed land only, including land, roads, footpaths and car parks. If you are only proposing to film on private land you need the approval of the land owner.

Council land can consist of:

  • footpaths
  • nature strips
  • roads
  • parks and reserves

If you are not sure if where you want to film is managed by the Council, please contact us.

Applications for filming must be made a minimum of 10 working days before proposed filming or the permit may not be granted.

Approval from other government agencies

Depending on what and where you are filming, you may need permission from other Victorian Government agencies:

You must have public liability insurance

You must hold public liability insurance with a minimum of $20 million to receive a permit. The permit must be held in the name of the applicant and contain the following clause:

Obligation to Insure

The Permit Holder shall at all times during the agreed Term, be the holder of a current Public Liability Policy of Insurance (“The Public Liability Policy”) in respect of the activities specified herein in the name of the Permit Holder providing coverage for a minimum sum of $10M (or more). The Public Liability Policy shall cover such risks and be subject only to such conditions and exclusions as are approved by the Council and shall extend to cover the Council in respect to claims for personal injury or property damage arising out of the negligence of the Permit holder.

Council’s indemnity

The Permit Holder agrees to indemnify and to keep indemnified, the Council, its servants and agents, and each of them from and against all actions, costs, claims, charges, expenses, penalties, demands and damages whatsoever which may be brought or made or claimed against them, or any of them, in connection with the Permit Holders performance or purported performance of its obligations under this Permit and be directly related to the negligent acts, errors or omission of the Permit Holder.

The Permit Holders liability to indemnify the Council shall be reduced proportionally to the extent that any act or omission of the Council, its servants or agents, contributed to the loss or liability.

Educational institution public liability insurance

If you are a student, you must provide a copy of your educational institution’s public liability with a minimum coverage of $20 million.

Provide a traffic management plan

If you are filming on a road, arterial road or freeway, you must also provide an approved traffic and pedestrian management plan with your application.

Permit fee

There is a $240 non-refundable application fee for each application.

Students do not need to pay this application fee.

How to apply

To apply for a film permit, please complete a Film Permit Application form and submit a minimum of 10 working days before proposed filming.

If you wish to pay your application fee online, please also complete a Credit Card Authorisation form.

Submit your application

Submit your application form and payment:

What happens next

  • After you have submitted your application, we will contact you in 5 business days to acknowledge we have received it.
  • Depending on your application, we may need to contact other government agencies. You may need to provide further information.
  • We will let you know the outcome of your application within 10 business days.
  • If successful, we will send you a permit that outlines the conditions in which you can film. You must carry this permit whenever you are shooting.