Skip to main content

Freedom of Information requests

The Freedom of Information Act 1982 (the 'Act') gives you the right to request documents held by:

  • Ministers
  • State government departments
  • Local Councils
  • Most semi-government organisations and statutory authorities
  • Public hospitals and Community Health Centres

The Act gives you the right to:

  • access documents about your personal affairs and the activities of government organisations
  • request we we amend or remove any incorrect or misleading information about you

Documents you can apply to access

You have a right to apply for access to documents that are held by an organisation which are covered by the Act.

This includes documents:

  • created by the organisation
  • supplied to the organisation by an external organisation or individual
  • about your personal affairs, regardless of the age of the documents
  • held by a Council, not older than 1 January 1989

What are considered 'documents'?

The definition of a 'document' includes:

  • emails
  • correspondence (typed or hand written)
  • memos
  • reports
  • maps
  • films
  • diaries
  • microfiche
  • photographs
  • computer discs
  • tape recordings
  • videotapes.

You can request a copy of these documents or request to inspect them at our offices.

Make a Freedom of Information request

Find out more about making a Freedom of Information request.

Have you found the information you were looking for?