In this live online class, your experienced teacher from I Make Sculptures will demonstrate how to make plates, bowls or platters with amazing textures. With just right guidance you will be able to make these perfectly decorative pottery for your own home. The basic principles are the same for all three, and you can choose which one to complete in the class.
You will build one shape in this class and learn a bunch of things about sculpting, glazing and firing ceramics. After you make your clay art piece, you will need to leave it to dry for a few days.
Air dry clay's advantage is that no firing is necessary and you get to see the final result straight away. It gets quite solid and can hold fruits and knick knacks. Disadvantage is that it will never be as sturdy and resilient as kiln fired clay and also can not be glazed, but acrylic painted. Can be water-resistant if sealed with a commercial water sealant. Not suitable for functional ware.
This online workshop includes a craft box that can be collected from the Old Cheese Factory.
What will be provided:
- Clay cube suitable for one large bowl or plate
- One wooden tool for making your first ceramic piece
- One texture sheet
- One plastic sheet for handling the clay slab
- Mini rolling pin for making a clay slab
- Sponge for blending slabs and perfecting the surface
- Ceramic stain or speckles or oxide (all natural clay colourants)
What you will need:
- Laptop and a good Internet connection
- Access to Zoom
- Flat clean surface/tabletop
- 1 cup of tap water
Cost: $15 per person