Issued Wednesday 31 January 2018
The City of Casey today announced its biggest advocacy campaign yet, calling on the State Government and Opposition to Commit to Casey, fix the region’s roads and extend Cranbourne Rail.
The growth in traffic over time has been faster than expected, while investment in public transport has been slashed – making Casey one of Victoria’s most poorly transport serviced municipalities.
City of Casey Mayor Cr Geoff Ablett announced the $2.7 billion worth of jobs and infrastructure as the answer to the municipality’s growing population and traffic congestion.
“Fixing roads and extending rail will create jobs, improve access to essential services, ease cost of living pressures and help the local community and economy thrive,” said the Mayor.
“Investment in Casey infrastructure is well overdue, this can’t go on, and urgent action is needed.”
Fixing Casey’s roads and extending Cranbourne Rail will boost connections to jobs and services, create more than 18,000 much-needed jobs, inject $1.5 billion into the local economy and $3.4 billion into the wider Australian economy.
Local Casey resident, Mark Seels, praised Council’s advocacy efforts and called on all political parties to Commit to Casey ahead of this year’s Victorian state election.
“It’s great to see Council standing up for Casey families, too many families spend too much time stuck in traffic each day – all they want is to get where they need to go safer and sooner,” Mr Seels said.
“All sides of politics need to Commit to Casey, fix the region’s roads and extend Cranbourne rail.”
The road upgrade will deliver a combination of new links, widening works, duplications, intersection upgrades and level crossing removals, including:
- Southern Dandenong Bypass through to South Gippsland Freeway and South Gippsland Freeway / M1 Freeway
- Pound Road – Greaves Road – O’Shea Road route
- Narre Warren – Cranbourne Road, from Thompsons Road to South Gippsland Highway
- Berwick – Cranbourne Road Route from Thompsons Road through Pattersons Road to Narre Warren Cranbourne Road
- Glasscocks Road from South Gippsland Highway to Dandenong - Frankston Road
- Thompson Road from Clyde Road to Cardinia Road
The rail upgrade includes:
- Duplication of the Cranbourne Rail line from Dandenong
- Extension of the Cranbourne Rail Line to Clyde North
For more information about the Commit to Casey campaign and a map of the much-needed road and rail upgrades, visit the Commit to Casey website.