Depending on the concession card you hold, you may be eligible for a concession from Council or from the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).
In addition to holding one of the concession cards below, you must also:
- ensure your concession card is current and valid
- be the person responsible for payment of the rates
- have your name on the rates notice
- make sure your name and address is the same on your rates notice and on your concession card
Concessions from Council
You are eligible to apply for a concession via Council if you hold one of the following cards:
- Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink or the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA)
- DVA Gold Card - Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
- DVA Gold Card - War Widow (WW)
If your concession is approved, you do not need to reapply yearly. We will check with DHHS each year to find out if you are still eligible for your concession. If you are no longer eligible, we will send you a letter to advise you that the concession has been removed.
How to apply
- Complete the Municipal Rates Concession application form.
- Return this form to Council by post, email or in person.
- We will assess your application (this will take around 5 business days).
- If your concession is approved, we will apply the relevant concession to your rates and forward you an amended notice.
- If your concession application is denied, we will send you a letter to advise you why this has occurred.
Examples of when you are not eligible
Common examples of when you are not eligible for a concession are:
- you are a health card holder
- you are applying for a property that is not your principle place of residence (eg. vacant land or investment properties)
Your concession discount
If you are eligible for a concession, this will be:
- 50% off your Council rates, up to a maximum of $229.40
- $50 off the Fire Services Property Levy
Concessions from DHHS
You are eligible to apply for a concession via DHHS if you hold one of the following cards:
- Veteran Affairs Prisoner of War (POW)
- Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
You will need to reapply for this concession yearly with DHHS.
How to apply
- Complete the EDA and POW Municipal Rates Concession application form.
- Follow the instructions on this form.
- Return it to the DHHS.
How your concession is paid
DHHS will pay your concession directly to you. Please contact DHHS for more information.