Council facilitates the delivery of the MetroAccess Program.
The program provides a number of benefits to the community, including:
- Bringing together individuals, communities and government to enhance opportunities for people with a disability;
- Supporting the building of welcoming, accessible and inclusive communities;
- Ensuring that disability is not a barrier to participation in community life and;
- Building long term sustainable change in local communities.
Funded by the Department of Human Services, MetroAccess along with its rural counterparts, RuralAccess and DeafAccess make up Disability Services’ Community Building Program.
The Community Building Program assists the community to better include people with a disability, their families and carers by:
- Improving community awareness about the needs and aspirations of people with a disability;
- Ensuring that the needs of people with a disability are incorporated into community planning;
- Bringing the community and government together to respond to community needs / priorities;
- Providing easy to access information about local services, programs and opportunities.
For more information, please contact Council’s MetroAccess Officer on 9705 5200 or visit the Department of Human Services Community Building Program outline.
Links to Council Services