Get extra help for your child at kindergarten

If your child attends a kindergarten that is funded by the Victorian Government, a Preschool Field Officer (PSFO) can help your child and your child's educator.

Support that PSFOs provide

A PSFO can provide a range of support, including:

  • discussions about your child's learning and development
  • kindergarten program strategies and resources
  • educator mentoring
  • identifying where to get additional support

Support the year before attending kindergarten

If you feel your child needs some support the year before they attend kindergarten, please complete a Starting Kindergarten Support Request Form (207kb).

Please submit the form to us:

What happens next

  • A PSFO will contact you shortly after receiving your referral. We will discuss your concerns and may organise an observational visit to an educational setting your child may be attending (eg. playgroup or childcare centre).

Support for children already attending kindergarten

A PSFO can provide support for children who are currently attending a funded kindergarten program. Find below how you can request help and what we can do for your child.

1. Request help from a PSFO

To request help from a PSFO, you and your child's kindergarten teacher must submit a Support Request Form with Flyer (424kb) form. (1mb)

The PSFO will contact you shortly after receiving your referral to arrange an observational visit.

2. Arrange an observational visit

Your PSFO will arrange a visit at your child's kindergarten at a suitable time. During this visit, they will:

  • observe your child's capabilities
  • observe your child's learning and development needs
  • hold discussions with your child's kindergarten teacher

3. Hold a meeting

Your PSFO will host a meeting with your family and your child's kindergarten teacher. During this meeting, everyone can share knowledge and discuss strategies regarding your child.

4. Make a referral

Based on the previous sessions, your PSFO may recommend pathways for additional support services.

Second year of kindergarten

Your child may be eligible for a second year of kindergarten if the kindergarten teacher observes your child demonstrating delays in at least 2 key outcome areas of their learning and development.

Your PSFO and your kindergarten teacher will work with you and your child to decide whether they may benefit from a second year of kindergarten.

The Victorian Department of Education and Training's has more information about eligibility for a second year of kindergarten.