Skip to main content
See Council's latest advice on COVID-19.

Cats and dogs

Cats and dogs can be considered a nuisance if:

  • they repeatedly leave their owner's property
  • make a lot of noise
  • litter in neighbouring gardens or children's sandpits

If you have a problem with your neighbour's cat or dog, you should first talk to the pet's owner. We find that most issues can be resolved with a friendly chat. If talking to your neighbour doesn't solve the problem, you can make a complaint.

Note: we do not offer cat cages for hire.

    Find out more about how to properly look after a cat.

    Make a complaint about nuisance cats

    1. Notify the owner of the cat in writing that the cat is a nuisance and should be kept away from your property. Include when the cat was in your property, what it is doing, a description of the cat and photos (if available). Please keep a copy of this letter for future reference.
    2. If the written notification doesn't help, you can notify us in writing about the problem. Please include a copy of the initial letter and photos of the cat.
    3. We will issue a Notice to Comply to the cat's owner. This will tell the owner what they need to do to make sure their cat is no longer a nuisance.
    4. If the cat continues to be a nuisance, we can take further action including fines and impounding the cat.

    Make a complaint about barking dogs

    1. Contact Council to discuss the complaint.
    2. We will send you a letter and barking dog log for you to complete, monitoring any excessive barking.
    3. If the barking is still a problem after 28 days, return your barking dog log to us and an Officer will be allocated the request for further investigation.

    If your dog is barking too much

    If you believe your dog is barking too much, or you have received a complaint, there are a few things you can do to help.

    Dog attacks

    Most dog attacks happen in public places, such as the footpath or road. Your dog must be on a leash in on-leash areas and under effective control in off-leash areas. When your dog is in your property it must always be securely confined.

    Reporting a dog attack

    A dog attack includes any incident where a dog chases, attacks and/or bites a person or animal. It does not have to cause injury.

    Step 1: Contact the Council

    Council Officers are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to investigate dog attack matters. Please contact us as soon as possible if you or your pet is attacked by a dog.

    Step 2: Record the details

    Make a record of everything relevant about the dog attack, including:

    • time of the attack
    • location
    • photos of any injuries to you or your pet
    • description of the attacking dog and contact details of the owner
    • records from your doctor or vet

    Step 3: Assessment and response

    Council will begin an investigation of the reported dog attack within 24 hours. Investigations can take a long time to resolve and can sometimes be a lengthy process.

    Council will gather all the evidence and will make a decision on what action (if any) is appropriate.


    If we believe an attack did occur, there are a range of penalties that could be applied:

    • infringement notices
    • animal management agreement
    • court action

    Agriculture Victoria has some useful information about dog attacks and what you can do.

    Additional Information

    Dangerous, menacing and restricted breed dogs

    Dangerous, menacing and restricted breed dogs are treated differently by law.

    Please follow the links to find out more information about dangerous dogs, menacing dogs and restricted breed dogs.

    How to register a dangerous, menacing or restricted breed dog

    Dangerous, menacing or restricted breed dogs are not registered the same way other dogs are. ​This is due to legal requirements.

    The City of Casey considers each application to register a dangerous, menacing or restricted breed dog. 

    If you would like to register a dangerous, menacing or restricted breed dog, please contact us.