Questions for you to consider
Family Day Care (FDC) can be extremely satisfying and enjoyable. Before you become an FDC educator, you should be aware of how the service will affect your family home.
1. Impact on your family
- Will you and your family members be able to maintain the safety standard while children are in care?
- Would you and your family be able to ensure a smoke and alcohol-free environment while children are in your care?
2. Caring for other peoples' children
- Can you stay with young children for long hours and still give them the patience, affection, security, stimulation and the protection they need?
- Do you have a warm family life that would give children the feeling that they are welcome, secure and cared for?
3. Running the service
- The entertainment you provide needs to be G or C rated and appropriate for a professional childcare environment.
- Are you able to discuss difficult situations with parents, such as concerns about their child’s development, or a disagreement regarding payment of fees?
- Are you organised enough to maintain and complete all the paperwork that is required?
- Are you able to work in partnership with other parents?
- Are you ready for the physical and emotional demands of caring for large numbers of children?
- Can you handle accidents and emergencies calmly and professionally?
- Can you communicate effectively and honestly with parents/guardians of children to share important information?
Become a family day care educator
If you would like to be a part of the City of Casey Family Day Care service as a FDC educator please contact us.