If you believe a dog in your neighbourhood is making too much noise, you should first talk to the pet's owner. We find that most issues can be resolved with a friendly chat.
Make a complaint
If talking to your neighbour doesn't solve the problem, you can make a complaint. To make a complaint:
- Contact us.
- We will send both you and the owner of the barking dog a booklet to monitor when the dog barks.
- Please monitor when the dog barks. You should also ask any other neighbours to monitor when they hear the dog bark excessively.
- If the dog's barking is still a problem after 2-3 weeks, return your booklet to us. We will investigate the matter further.
If your dog is barking too much
If you believe your dog is barking too much, or you have received a complaint, there are a few things you can do to help.
- Try and find out why your dog is barking and address the reason. See the Department of Agriculture's webpage for a list of common reasons dogs bark and how to fix them.
- Talk to a vet or a professional dog trainer for advice.