Congratulations on the (early) arrival of your little bundle of joy!
Your baby has entered the world earlier than planned and suddenly there are new things to consider – such as finding clothes to fit your tiny tot!
When you return home, you may receive ongoing care, information and counselling from your hospital if you need it (via their 'Hospital in the Home' program).
The hospital will notify Council when your baby arrives home. You will then receive a text message to confirm your first home visit with your Council Maternal & Child Health (MCH) Nurse. If you or your child need extra support, your nurse will refer you to one of our Enhanced MCH Nurses who provide a more specialised service.
You can also join these independent groups and support networks:
- Life's Little Treasures Foundation (Facebook group, counselling, tips for family and dads, where to buy clothes)
- Miracle Babies Foundation
- Tips for coping with your feelings about a premature birth
- After a premature birth: what dads might go through
- Tips for calming your premature baby in the NICU
- Corrected age: how old is your premature baby?
- Preparing to go home with your premature baby
- Your premature baby's appearance
- See other articles about premature babies on the Raising Children Network website.